Collegiate Cycling

Tagged: 

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • Author

Hey, I haven’t seen any mention of collegiate cycling on the forums, I am just getting introduced to it and thinking about racing mountain this fall. Is anybody on singletracks part of a team or have any experience road or mountain?

Anyone Bueller?

how many colleges have mountain bike race teams? i really like the idea of that, and since i’ve got a lot of school still ahead of me…

There are a lot, check out http://www.collegiatecycling.org/seccc/ for the south east region. UGA has a team as well.

what, are you serious??? never knew that

i was talking about mountainbiking.

those all look like roadie teams.

Thing about academia is its based on what you want to achieve, when i was at Uni (7 years of it) through the students union, or guild if the uni is old enough we were able to set up activities or societies based on interests, for example there was a climbing group, greenpeace etc. We needed a group leader, secretary things like that but, it does help and is something for the CV or resume later in life.

For example i was a student mentor and volunteered to teach students which was fun suprisingly.
      So why dont you form a group if there is not one already, plan trails, mini races etc compete with other colleges, all team members can donate to buy a prize or something.

Dac

I know for sure that there is something in NOCAL and in SOCAL but its at the highschool level. It was started by a teacher and now there are many schools involved.

Seeing that I am in the same position (teaching) I am going to see what it takes to get something like that started in Ontario (Canada)

I wish I had been into MTB when I was in school (’96-’00) in Gainesville, the possibilities of riding in the area are pretty good. I like to sport the 2006 SECC Champ. jersey for rides here in CO, gets some funny looks on the trail.

"Goo" wrote

i was talking about mountainbiking.

I am sure UGA has a MTB team as well. Check in to it, the first SECC race is in Atlanta, you still have time.

"COGator00" wrote

I wish I had been into MTB when I was in school (’96-’00) in Gainesville, the possibilities of riding in the area are pretty good. I like to sport the 2006 SECC Champ. jersey for rides here in CO, gets some funny looks on the trail.

That’s great you are supporting the team in CO! Yeah there a few local trails that are pretty good, and Santos is just little ways away.

What’s up with the Chilipeper?

"RunandBike0519" wrote

[quote="Goo":3il9hnbk]i was talking about mountainbiking.

I am sure UGA has a MTB team as well. Check in to it, the first SECC race is in Atlanta, you still have time.[/quote:3il9hnbk]

idk man, checked around their site and didn’t see anything

try this site from USA Cycling – obviously not all schools have teams, or have both road and mtn bike teams..

[url:31lgalor]http://www.usacycling.org/news/user/story.php?id=1818[/url:31lgalor]

The Colorado State team is listed as a "club" sport, much like rugby.

I think most of the southeastern college teams have mountain and road teams. The mountain races happen during fall semester and road is in spring….at least thats how it is at GA Tech…

"Dacorr" wrote

when i was at Uni

The University of Northen Iowa?????? thats about an hour or two from my place

ah, there we go

Not sure how up to date that list is. Went to a mountain bike race at the International Horse park in Conyers this weekend that had at least 10 schools represented from the south. These guys even had their own mechanics! Saw guys from FSU, UF, UGA, and Clemson to name a few.

http://collegiatecycling.org/seccc/inde … te.Schools

SECCC site lists 28 teams, though I don’t think they all made it to Conyers this weekend. Those guys and gals from Warren Wilson College had some pretty cool jerseys 😀

"trek7k" wrote

Those guys and gals from Warren Wilson College had some pretty cool jerseys 😀

Yeah I was definitely checking out how well a few of their female riders fit into those jerseys!

i’ve heard that clemson, georgia tech, and brevard, nc all have some decent mtb teams

I don’t know about those schools, but for my money, it doesn’t get better than Lees-McRae (Banner Elk, NC) and Fort Lewis (WA state):

http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-ev … two-teams/

Here is the official site, most school have teams some are just more involved than others. Check out you local conference. http://www.usacycling.org/ncca/

Viewing 23 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.