Clipless SPD Pedal Suggestions

Tagged: ,

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

What clipless SPD pedal is recommended for a newbie? I have SPD shoes and have ridden clipless for commuting, but not mountain biking. Kind of looking at Shiman M424 but worried about the durability of the "cage" thing. Would appreciate any suggestions. Weight is not a factor, and I don’t want to spend more than $75 or so…….

"Redaunt" wrote

What clipless SPD pedal is recommended for a newbie? I have SPD shoes and have ridden clipless for commuting, but not mountain biking. Kind of looking at Shiman M424 but worried about the durability of the "cage" thing. Would appreciate any suggestions. Weight is not a factor, and I don’t want to spend more than $75 or so…….

I would go old school & go with toe clips…It’s the best of both that platforms & clipless have to offer. 😎

"Redaunt" wrote

Shimano M-520’s

They have adjustable spring tension and are cheap, $25 at JensonUSA.

"sssirois" wrote

[quote="Redaunt":12jwwv5r]What clipless SPD pedal is recommended for a newbie? I have SPD shoes and have ridden clipless for commuting, but not mountain biking. Kind of looking at Shiman M424 but worried about the durability of the "cage" thing. Would appreciate any suggestions. Weight is not a factor, and I don’t want to spend more than $75 or so…….

I would go old school & go with toe clips…It’s the best of both that platforms & clipless have to offer. 😎[/quote:12jwwv5r]

And I would totally never do that.

"slipfinger" wrote

[quote="Redaunt":12jwwv5r]What clipless SPD pedal is recommended for a newbie? I have SPD shoes and have ridden clipless for commuting, but not mountain biking. Kind of looking at Shiman M424 but worried about the durability of the "cage" thing. Would appreciate any suggestions. Weight is not a factor, and I don’t want to spend more than $75 or so…….

Shimano M-520’s

They have adjustable spring tension and are cheap, $25 at JensonUSA.[/quote:12jwwv5r]

And I 100% agree with this. Link: http://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano/Pedals … 520-Pedals

I have the nashbar singletrack clipless pedals, they were $29. I really like them, they are simple to use and aren’t huge.

I use the the Shimano m540 set at a low spring tension. I also have the sh-56 multidirection release clips. The pedals cost me 32 and the clips 20 on ebay. My feet clip in very quickly and when things start to go wrong it takes nothing for your feet to come out. They come out with out even thinking when needed.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.