Clipless question.

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Hello everyone.

I just got back into riding a month or so ago. Been getting really annoyed at how little my feet stay on the pedals while in hte woods, so I dcecided to try clipless. Attempt #1 (and depending on how you look at it 2,3,4,5 & 6) were last night.

It took me roughly the first 8 miles or so to get the cleats adjusted to a stance that felt comfortable. Only question I have is, are my legs and knees supposed to feel like they’re going to fall off right now?

I thought using these pedals was supposed to help… At this point i’m running with the idea that since it’s the first time i’ve used them im supposed to hurt. New exercise, new pain… I just want to make sure though.

Umm….I think you should go see your local shop and get them to help you adjust your cleats. Your knees shouldn’t hurt. I could see your hamstring being a little sore since you can use it to pull up on the pedals now, but couldn’t before. You might have some muscle soreness from working them out, but your knees shouldn’t hurt.

I agree that your knees shouldn’t hurt.

What model pedals did you go with?

yeah, i agree with everyone too.. your knees shouldn’t hurt at all. i’ve been on clipless for about a month now and i’m a total n00b to all the mtb stuff. but i’ll tell ya that i have 2 titanium screws holding my right knee together and neither one of my knees hurt after i ride. i’m using crank bros candy sl’s on mine.

I went with a pair of WELLGO WPD-M17C. I know they’re not the greatest, I just wanted the platform option in case i hated clipless.

I think the problem is that I was adjusting them while riding. I went for a few miles yesterday and no knee problems. (thank god)

I am still going to get the setup checked out by someone. Just to be 100% sure.

I used to have the version of those that are clipless on both sides, and they made my right knee hurt a little, despite adjusting it number of times. They were also a major pain in the butt to clip in and out of.

At the time I also had Shimano pd-m324’s on my other bike and they were very comfortable.

Now I run Crank Bros Eggbeaters on both my bikes. They have just the right amount of lateral ‘float’ and they clip in and out very easily.

You may want to check where you have the cleat on your shoe as well. If it’s in the wrong spot, it can affect your power production and even cause pain in your joints. Most people will tell you to line the pedal axle up with center of the balls of your feet. Just feel for the prominent bump below your big toe on the inside of your foot and line the axle up with that. Also, most shoes will allow you to change the angle that the cleat sits on your shoe as well. It helps if you are one those people who is pigeon toed or duck footed. Some pedals have a range of float that helps you naturally attain an angle that feels comfortable but it sounds like yours may not so give it a quick double check.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.