Clipless bandwagon…….wait for me

Tagged: ,

Viewing 89 reply threads
  • Author

So today i ordered my first pair of shimano pd-m520 pedals and a pair of shimano MO86L shoes. im pretty excited to make the switch. i know ill carry alot more power when i’m riding with clipless. man oh man is it hard to find a size 13 1/2 shoe. i looked everywhere. ill tel yall know how it go’s

enjoy!

"outlawracer" wrote

So today i ordered my first pair of shimano pd-m520 pedals and a pair of shimano MO86L shoes. im pretty excited to make the switch. i know ill carry alot more power when i’m riding with clipless. man oh man is it hard to find a size 13 1/2 shoe. i looked everywhere. ill tel yall know how it go’s

😆 I’l bet that 13 1/2 is hard to come by. Make sure you tell us all the good stories about learning to ride clipless. 😆

I imagine we all have at least one funny story of learning to ride clipless. I know I do. Once you get the hang of it though, it becomes second nature. You will increase your pedaling power and feel more at one with the bike on rocky, rooty sections, which is usually good, but not always. 😕

Good Luck!
      Getting ready to make the jump to clipless myself, although I think I’ll wait till spring, when I can be sure to ride enough to get into the swing of it…

Just make sure to release one of your shoes before you lock up the brakes. Otherwise it will be a slow steady fall on to your side. Just like me…second natre now.

I can’t hardly ride with flats anymore, haha!

Warning, you will fall. :lol You can’t help it. And when you try to take your foot off the pedal without twisting, and it stays, your fall will be in slow motion. Also, when you start riding the trails and think you have the hang of it, you will get done with riding and ride back to the lot. You will stop and clip out on one side and then you will fall on the opposite side. But only if the lot is crowded. And you will feel like such a goober…. But hey, enjoy the learning curve!!! 😄

i think i have fallen more times being stopped and forgetting to unclip and do a slo mo fall then falling down while trying to bail. and of course everyone is standing right there. but weve all done it

Yeah I’m pretty excited, the shoe and peddles should get her tomorrow. Yeah I expect to fall many time but that’s normal. Kinda like initiation you know. I figure ill ride around my apartments for the first run

even when your on the trail practice a gazzillion times unclipping, but remember it is different when you make a mistake and you need to bail in a split second, the better you get the better it will be to get out fast but that itself may take a bit. It will have to become second nature.

Failing once tends to be a strong motivator to do better, especially if it’s in front of a bunch of people!

Very wise words maddslacker. Yeah I know of a trail that’s very easy and flat. It should allow me to get good at clipping out. I can already see in the near future having an "interesting" time on the up hills. I only have a 21 speed on my trek so clip-in should help with more power……… that’s if I don’t stall out half way up….. 😮

"outlawracer" wrote

I only have a 21 speed on my trek so clip-in should help with more power……..

Granny gear is granny gear, no matter how many gears you have…

"maddslacker" wrote

[quote="outlawracer":3rhyhat0]I only have a 21 speed on my trek so clip-in should help with more power……..

Granny gear is granny gear, no matter how many gears you have…[/quote:3rhyhat0]

Well madd there’s a big difference between a 32 tooth big cog and a 34 tooth big cog, and nowadays aren’t the 10 spd drive trains going with a 36 tooth?

But I do see your point: generally (when talking about mountain bikes), despite the number of gears you have, the high-end and low-end ratios will be the same but the number of gears in between will be what differs.

"Goo" wrote

Well madd there’s a big difference between a 32 tooth big cog and a 34 tooth big cog, and nowadays aren’t the 10 spd drive trains going with a 36 tooth?

But I do see your point: generally (when talking about mountain bikes), despite the number of gears you have, the high-end and low-end ratios will be the same but the number of gears in between will be what differs.

8 or 9 speed cassettes can have 30, 32 or 34 tooth cogs. A quick search shows a 7 spd cassette with a 32 tooth cog.

36 tooth cogs are for 29’ers.

More gears gives you tighter ratios between the gears, and, when compared to his 7-spd, 8 and 9 speeds also have an 11 tooth small cog rather than the 12 tooth he has.

"fleetwood" wrote

I imagine we all have at least one funny story of learning to ride clipless. I know I do. Once you get the hang of it though, it becomes second nature. You will increase your pedaling power and feel more at one with the bike on rocky, rooty sections, which is usually good, but not always. 😕

You know reading your post reminds me of many stories…but the best was when I was just learning the clipless I rode up close to by back door and the wife was watching me and she said it looked like slow motion as I fell…she laughed till she cried. I had to laugh myself, had many spills in the woods as well but I don’t want to go back to platforms.

"Goo" wrote

[quote="maddslacker":el4uvcdq][quote="outlawracer":el4uvcdq]I only have a 21 speed on my trek so clip-in should help with more power……..

Granny gear is granny gear, no matter how many gears you have…[/quote:el4uvcdq]

But I do see your point: generally (when talking about mountain bikes), despite the number of gears you have, the high-end and low-end ratios will be the same but the number of gears in between will be what differs.[/quote:el4uvcdq]

Also, you chain wheel gearing matters too. Some have. 28 tooth small gear and others will have a 24 tooth or even a 22 tooth.

"maddslacker" wrote

Wrong. Most 10 spd are 11-36 and are put on many 26 in. bike. Like all of trek’s full suspension bikes. But most 9spd cassettes are 11-34.

"dozzerboy" wrote

[quote="maddslacker":sjnb3xjk]

Wrong. Most 10 spd are 11-36 and are put on many 26 in. bike. Like all of trek’s full suspension bikes. But most 9spd cassettes are 11-34.[/quote:sjnb3xjk]

Correct. And a lot of the reasoning behind the 36T cog is the new 2×10 cranks don’t have as low of a low gear up front, and even the new Shimano stuff now has a higher low gear, their new XT cranks come with a 24x32x42. Tighter gearing than the old 22x32x44 to minimize big changes in pedal cadence when shifting, but higher low gear and lower high gear. Lotsa people not happy about that change.

For example, lets look at the lowest ratio, which is small front chainring/largest cassette cog of a few systems:

(system) – (smallest front chainring) – (largest rear cog) = (ratio)
      Old XT – 22 – 34 = 0.647
      New DynaSys XT 3×10 – 24 – 36 = 0.666
      New DynaSys XTR Race 2×10 – 28 – 36 = 0.777
      New DynaSys XTR Trail 3×10 – 24 – 36 = 0.666
      New X0 2×10 – 26 -36 = 0.722
      New X0 3×10 – 22 – 36 = 0.611

So you can see that the new 36T cassette with the new tighter-ratioed 3x crank gives you almost the same low gear as the old 22×34. And for anyone looking for the lowest low gear, SRAM’s 3-ring crank paired with the new 10spd cassette w/a 36T cog is the way to go.

You’ll also notice there are now TONS of gearing options available! The list above only shows XT/XTR/X0 – and only shows the lowest possible option for each of those, most have several options to choose from. For some there’s two 3 ring options and two 2 ring options! Plus there’s Deore/XX/X9/X7/X5 and all the other crank manufacturers, like FSA and RaceFace. So don’t complain about not being able to get the gearing you want!

So after all that, within a spread of 2-4 teeth, my statement still stands: granny gear is granny gear…

"maddslacker" wrote

So after all that, within a spread of 2-4 teeth, my statement still stands: granny gear is granny gear…

Agreed, a granny gear is the lowest gear combination on a bike, no matter what the ratio is 😃

My single speed has a granny gear ratio of 1.777. 😉

Mine is, "Crap, I wish I had one more gear."

"maddslacker" wrote

[quote="outlawracer":29jdcmdh]I only have a 21 speed on my trek so clip-in should help with more power……..

Granny gear is granny gear, no matter how many gears you have…[/quote:29jdcmdh]

does that mean someone riding a ss is always rides in the granny gear?

Only if they choose the same gear ratio that corresponds to ‘granny gear’ on a gear bike. I’m guessing they’d go with something a little higher…

(The fact that my said ‘gearS’ implies more than one) 😉

well guys here they are. went for the first ride about an hour ago. you know it was much easer than i had thought. clipping out is very ease and i can feel different muscles working. its already getting dark so tomorrow ill take it to the trails. I did go down some stairs and at first I was worried but half way down I new I had made the right decision.
      ImageImage

KICK STAND!!!????!!!!????

Get rid of that peg leg!

LOL I saw that but was kind enough to not mention it.

its useful !!! lol and weigh’s almost nothing

When it comes down on you unexpectedly on a rocky section and sends you arse over teakettle…make sure you take pics so we can point and laugh. 😼

Thanks bro

so ANYWAYS lol im happy they came is. Jensonusa.com has very good shipping. i guess the real learning begins tomorrow 😮

Yeah, Jenson is fantastic to deal with. I have even done a return with them in the past and they handled it seamlessly.

Hey maddslacker, what kinda peddles you use?

Eggbeaters. I used to have ones like yours, but I like these soooo much better.

Brand new to clipless pedals.

Got a deal on some Crank Bros Candy pedals on chainlove and just received my Pearl Izumi Alp Enduro II shoes. FYI, the shoes run a full size small…wear an 11.5 (45) but had to get a 12.5 (47).

Anyway, so I practice clipping in and out for about 5 minutes and decide to head down the driveway. Sure enough, I can’t clip in my second foot, start to lose my momentum and fall right over. Instantly upon impact my shoe unclipped. Of course, a car was driving by at that instant to gawk at me lying on my side in the driveway.

After letting my 4 yo patch my knee, I will practice in the backyard tomorrow.

I did that on my first try, right in front of my neighbors.

and I always thought a kick stand was when you leaned the bike against a tree.

i am sure you” soon fall in love with clipless. practice in a flat grassy area just clipping and unclipping. you will fall (usually coming to a stop) but just laugh.

Well for the most part I had no problems my first try today. I rode for about 30 minuets with no problems. I have no problems at all clipping out. Now I haven’t been on the trail yet so that mite change everything. I feel pretty confident as of right now.

"maddslacker" wrote

Mine is, "Crap, I wish I had one more gear."

Good one; as I reach for that phantom super low granny gear. 😆

Looks like you are set Outlawracer.

"maddslacker" wrote

When it comes down on you unexpectedly on a rocky section and sends you arse over teakettle…make sure you take pics so we can point and laugh. 😼

+1

Not to mention all the bouncing/rattling noise it makes!

Back to the granny gears: but we’ve decided that while granny gear is granny gear, not all granny gears are created equal. 😃 😃

My 9yo daughter had me remove her kickstand. Just sayin’ 😆

"maddslacker" wrote

+1 – Seriously, that thing is dangerous, take it off.

"brianW" wrote

does that mean someone riding a ss is always rides in the granny gear?

Yes…. but we’re also always in the big ring! 😆

Yeah well I think ill keep it, I’ve done some pretty good rock gardens, drops, and fast singletrack and never had a problem. I will say it does make some extra noise but nothing to bad. For real though, its not a death trap or anything. I know lots of MTB’ers that use them and there pretty advanced bikers.

Anyways, so today after work I’m hittin the trails. That’s all I can’t think about today lol

"outlawracer" wrote

Yeah well I think ill keep it, I’ve done some pretty good rock gardens, drops, and fast singletrack and never had a problem. I will say it does make some extra noise but nothing to bad. For real though, its not a death trap or anything. I know lots of MTB’ers that use them and there pretty advanced bikers.

Anyways, so today after work I’m hittin the trails. That’s all I can’t think about today lol

Make sure it’s positioned well under the chainstay, so you’re heel can’t hit it. You move around a lot on the bike when going through technical stuff, it’s easy to knock it down without realizing it till you try and turn left and catches something, and you hit the dirt. I’ve seen it happen…it’s not pretty!

And enjoy the new pedals! You’ll never want to go back once you get used to them.

Thanks dgaddis, I will keep that in mind. That’s something I do forget to watch for. You know when I do hit the dirt because of the kickstand ill probably take it off. Man this day is going forever lmao. Just about everybody I know who uses clip-ins says the same thing.

Hey dgaddis, what kinda peddles do you use?…. And bike lol

"outlawracer" wrote

Thanks dgaddis, I will keep that in mind. That’s something I do forget to watch for. You know when I do hit the dirt because of the kickstand ill probably take it off. Man this day is going forever lmao. Just about everybody I know who uses clip-ins says the same thing.

I’m using some new Crank Brother’s Candy pedals, and have them on a Vassago Jabberwocky.

I wanted them in black, but blue was all they had in stock, and I needed them ASAP. My old Candy’s were dead, thanks to a stupidly muddy race I was dumb enough to do.

"dgaddis" wrote

My old Candy’s were dead, thanks to a stupidly muddy race I was dumb enough to do.

You should try Eggbeaters, they’re basically Candy’s without the mud catchers…

"maddslacker" wrote

[quote="dgaddis":3hqjtjhc]My old Candy’s were dead, thanks to a stupidly muddy race I was dumb enough to do.

You should try Eggbeaters, they’re basically Candy’s without the mud catchers…[/quote:3hqjtjhc]

I actually wanted the eggbeaters after I killed the Candy’s, because I don’t think the platform really does me any good. But they were out of Eggbeaters, and only had the new Candy’s in Blue, so that’s what I got.

The problem was mud got into the bushings, which could happen with either of the old designs. But the new designs are much better, no bushings in the ‘3’ models (Eggbeater 3, Candy 3, etc) all bearings now, much better and smoother.

Besides…the race was bad, ruined a lot of parts for a lot of people. http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-ev … -gold-100/

yeah, I’m curious about the new models, but seeing as there’s no mud where I live, it will probably be a while until I get to check them out.

I have the candy’s also. But mine are orange to match my giant anthem. Haha. Gotta have ’em matching colors! 😆 I have regular eggbeaters too. I will use them for racing for the weight but for training I’m using the candy’s. On longer rides you can feel the extra support. But only if your shoes work properly with the pedals. I’ll get some pics up later today. Schools killing me now that we are nearing the end of the semester.

Dude, dgaddis that’s a sweet bike. Nice candy

Well day one with clip-in complete. Let’s recap. With in the first 15 minutes stalled out on a hard uphill and went rolling down. 5 minutes after that I fell down another large uphill. About 10 minutes after that fell down ANOTHER uphill and this time the bike stayed with me, rolling and rolling fun lol. After I got done with all the falling things got much better. After the first 6 miles I started noticing I had more speed and was using less energy. I did about 18 miles and my legs where feelin it but in a good way. Now the cuts on my legs are feelin it to but NOT in a good way

So riding clip-in changes the way I bike, how do you guy’s get up those crazy uphills with out stalling out

Stalling out is ok, just unclip really fast and dab.

Don’t stand and mash. You’ll pull your weight off the back tire and spin it out, stalling your entire forward progress. Sit and spin and keep your weight back on the rear wheel. If you were already doing this, add a little body english with your hips towards the nose of the saddle. A few well, timed pelvic thrusts usually help me up over some of the really nasty stuff. My lady friend likes me practicing those moves as well. 😉

also when clipped in it is easier to do a "full spin" You do not just push down but use you legs to pull back (bottom of the stroke) pull up and push the pedal forward at the top.

I really got good at this in a ‘spinning" class (used to be a masher) when we would only pedal, or apply power with one leg for a minute or two and than switch legs.

"GoldenGoose" wrote

Don’t stand and mash. You’ll pull your weight off the back tire and spin it out, stalling your entire forward progress. Sit and spin and keep your weight back on the rear wheel. If you were already doing this, add a little body english with your hips towards the nose of the saddle. A few well, timed pelvic thrusts usually help me up over some of the really nasty stuff. My lady friend likes me practicing those moves as well. 😉

This, and learn how to track stand. On steep technical ascents sometimes I will get stalled out by a root, rock, or just be confused by line choice, and being able to just stand without taking your feet of the pedals for a second or two and decide how to attack can make all the difference in nailing that climb and being forced to dismount and not being able to start again until you’ve hiked to the top.

"dgaddis" wrote

[quote="outlawracer":1xl816np]Thanks dgaddis, I will keep that in mind. That’s something I do forget to watch for. You know when I do hit the dirt because of the kickstand ill probably take it off. Man this day is going forever lmao. Just about everybody I know who uses clip-ins says the same thing.

I’m using some new Crank Brother’s Candy pedals, and have them on a Vassago Jabberwocky.

I wanted them in black, but blue was all they had in stock, and I needed them ASAP. My old Candy’s were dead, thanks to a stupidly muddy race I was dumb enough to do.[/quote:1xl816np]

MMM Vassago! Several of the guys I’ve been riding with have those. Sweet bikes!

Good lord guys I’m so sore today. I think all the falling has a part to play. I’m hitting the trials again today but this time not at night. You know I think it mite have been a bad idea to try clip-in’s for the first time while night biking lmao. No brainer right. Also need to remember to get my shoe’s tighter. When I was biking I noted my shoes where a little loose.

"outlawracer" wrote

Good lord guys I’m so sore today. I think all the falling has a part to play. I’m hitting the trials again today but this time not at night. You know I think it mite have been a bad idea to try clip-in’s for the first time while night biking lmao. No brainer right. Also need to remember to get my shoe’s tighter. When I was biking I noted my shoes where a little loose.

😆

I did the same thing man. And I did it on the most technical trail in the local area, lots of creek/ditch crossings that hard to make even in the daylight. I fell A LOT. One ditch in particular I kept trying to make it, and finally did, but only after falling 5 times.

One thing about clipless, until you get really really good at unclipping (when it’s natural, and you don’t even think about it anymore) you really have to commit to stuff. When you hit those steep sections of trail you’ve got to think "I’m making this no matter what!"

Stick with it, it’s worth the effort.

"outlawracer" wrote

Well day one with clip-in complete. Let’s recap.
      After I got done with all the falling things got much better.

Quote of last week 😆

"CraigCreekRider" wrote

[quote="outlawracer":144n5xj5]Well day one with clip-in complete. Let’s recap.
      After I got done with all the falling things got much better.

Quote of last week 😆[/quote:144n5xj5]

Wow that just made my day lmao

So I’ve hit the trails 3 time with clip-in and I’m defiantly getting better, still having a hard time with the up hill’s but I’m working that out. I noticed on the uphill I need more control, more fluid movements to keep from jerking the bike. Its interesting, I do believe I am an expert at the art of falling, yall would be so proud. Right now I’m on lunch at work and I’m trying to find another trial that’s not to hard for a beginner clipless rider. I know I’ll find something lol

So last night I was hitting the trails when out of know where a raccoon and some baby raccoon’s jumps in front of me and I go down. So I get back up and dust myself off when I hear the sounds. I look back and that raccoon is a few feet behind me, standing on its back legs snarling at me with red eyes. So I got my bike and ran like hell. That was the most pissed raccoon I’ve ever seen. It wanted man flesh for dinner. So in the hurry of running like hell, I run into a pack of armadillo’s which caused me to wreck out again. Poor armadillo’s never saw me comin. It was a very interesting night. I hope to hell I never have an encounter with that coon again. It was like something out of the movie The Thing with Kert Russle

have you tried getting into a much easier gear and just spin faster on the up hills?

I always use my low-low on the up hills. Its still VERY hard. How are other guys on nicer bike getting up hill so easily. I went biking today, half way up a uphill I had to ditch the bike because I stalled. I just didn’t have the leg power, but I have very strong legs. A few minutes later two other guys went up the hill and they wernt even trying. they both had 10 rear gears. latter they told me there low-low was MUCH lower then mine

Check your cassette. A common granny gear is 34 tooth, and 29’ers and some of the 10spds have 36 tooth. More teeth = easier gear.

Also check your small ring on front: fewer teeth = easier gear.

Also, check the chainwheel. From what you’re saying. You probably have 28 gears on your lowest chain wheel. If you have the $ for upgrading, you can get a new crankset and make sure you have a 22 tooth low chain wheel. That will give you the ability to climb mount everest…. Haha. If you don’t have the $, you might be able to change you low gear to a lower gear. Just a thought.

"brianW" wrote

have you tried getting into a much easier gear and just spin faster on the up hills?

be careful with that, depending on the slope if you go all the way to the easiest gear you will just spin out. I rarely go to my lowest, usually one above to keep enough torque. If you do spin, practice balancing and just stand with your brakes on for a second and regain traction, shift some weight to the rear wheel to get it to grip

Well when I get my tax return ill be upgrading to a fuel ex 9. I counted my low rear cog and its a 34 tooth. I didn’t have time to count the front low cog, was almost late for work lol. I know I have ether a 24 or 28 low front cog. I know the 3500 Treks have a 28, they have since upgraded my 3700 to mine is the equivalent to 3500, I do share some parts of the newer 3700, also upgraded the stem. Will see when I get home today. I would bet money I have a 24 tooth cog though.

My worst clipless story is when I lost a screw from the cleat. The shoe wouldn’t disengage at all and was riding where there were fences I had to climb over so after falling over learning that I couldn’t unclip had to take off my shoe at every stop. The screw broke off so a mechanic had to extract it.

"abegold" wrote

My worst clipless story is when I lost a screw from the cleat.

That’s happened to me a few times as well. Kinda sucks walking in to get pizza with one shoe on, the other still clipped to your bike. 😀

I would have just taken both off and gone for pizza barefoot. 😉

"maddslacker" wrote

I would have just taken both off and gone for pizza barefoot. 😉

Yeah, but haven’t you heard of "no [i:1dn7anxf]shoes[/i:1dn7anxf], no service?" Notice it doesn’t say "no SHOE, no service." 😀

Actually I think it was cold that night and I wanted to keep one foot warm.

😆

Well guys I really shouldn’t bet on things like that. Just got home from work and it turn out I do have a 28 tooth low front cog. Now ok how much of a difference is there between 22 and 28 tooth cogs. Are we talking a world of difference or just a little

A big difference.

28/34=.824

While a

22/34=.647

That is a .177 difference. Pretty big for a gear ratio difference…

That would be the equivalent of a 28 chain wheel and a 43 tooth cassette…

Wow I had no idea, ill see about upgrading to a better crankset and bottom bracket. Went biking at a different trail yesterday and did MUCH better on the uphill’s. I think I just need to trail my legs better, I’m using a lot of muscle that I normally don’t use.

Pedal circles, not squares. 😉

also, if you are going to upgrade to another crankset, make sure its the right size, yes, size does matter ! i had 170 and i went down to 165, im 5′, and the smaller crank made a huge difference

I went from a 175 down to a 170 due to my bike’s low bottom bracket height. I can only imagine how many times I would whack rocks if the arms were longer.

Also, shorter crank arms yield a higher effective gear ratio, FWIW.

Shorter riders benefit from shorter cranks. The shorter cranks allow you to pedal in "circles" better and keep your seat on some climbs saving energy. Most mountain bikes seem to come with 175mm cranks. I tried some 170s on my road bike and that caused me to switch my mountain bike as well. I gave a "inseam challenged" friend some 170s for Christmas years back and still get good good stuff each year. The 175s give good leaverage for tall people but us "shorties" need the spin more. 😄 Later, Fat Billy

interesting point, thanks

Ill probably haft to stick with 175. Im 6’2 251lbs. So I’m thinking about switching to a Shimano Alivio crankset. Its cheap and will do the job. As i said im upgrading to a fuel ex9 in about 5 months so no big spending. Only have two question, splined or Square Taper and what size bottom bracket http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/ … acket.aspx any ideas guys. the bike is a 2009 trek 3700

"outlawracer" wrote

Im 6’2 251lbs. So I’m thinking about switching to a Shimano Alivio crankset.

You can also go longer than 175, since you’re so tall.

Really though, you should be on a 29’er 😃

"maddslacker" wrote

[quote="outlawracer":1fil4iqw]Im 6’2 251lbs. So I’m thinking about switching to a Shimano Alivio crankset.

You can also go longer than 175, since you’re so tall.

Really though, you should be on a 29’er 😃[/quote:1fil4iqw]
      is that joking or for real, never thought i was very tall. i will say im the tallest out of everyone i ride with.

"outlawracer" wrote

is that joking or for real, never thought i was very tall. i will say im the tallest out of everyone i ride with.

to those of us riding 16" frames with 170mm or shorter crank arms…it’s tall

Þ
      Wow I haft to ride a 21.5 frame or bigger. So what about the crankset and bottom bracket. Never thought about a 29er, I should look into that

yeah……..id say your very tall

im 5′ and have a 13.5

Yeah I mite be tall for a MTB’er but I’m pretty sure most of yall could run circles around me. I’m headed to NorthShore in grapevine, tx. Its a 19 mile track with not to hard uphill’s. With I had a lower crankset for the hills

Viewing 89 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.