Cleaning and Care for your Camelbak?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Hey guys, just wanted to know how everybody cares for their Camelbak (or Hydration pack, whichever). My reservoir has some white spots, and I’m picking up a soft hint of an awkward taste. I think this is probably mold or mildew or some ^@#%. Anyways the Camelbak cleaning tablets are a pretty hefty price to constantly re-buy. Is it safe to use a mild mixture of bleach and water? I don’t want to risk having a bleachy tasting water for the rest of my riding. Thanks a bunch.

Well, the tablets are apparently Sodium Bicarbonate and Chlorine Dioxide.
      So it’s essentially baking soda and bleach…

I’ve bleached in the past with a very dilute solution – couple teaspoons to the 100oz of water. As long as you rinse it very well and flush the tube thoroughly, there is no bleachy aftertaste.

[url:17neag8q]http://www.singletracks.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=2398[/url:17neag8q]

Here’s a link to the hydration bladder cleansing issue,Lvoz used to be a microbiologist and had some pretty cool information on parasites,mold,and mildue kinda stuff.I’m gonna go back and read it again myself.

"steve32300" wrote

[url:3fe5od7x]http://www.singletracks.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=2398[/url:3fe5od7x]

Here’s a link to the hydration bladder cleansing issue,Lvoz used to be a microbiologist and had some pretty cool information on parasites,mold,and mildue kinda stuff.I’m gonna go back and read it again myself.

That was an exceptional thread. Thanks for the linkage.

Sick! Thanks a bunch for all of the quick replies and all the info, I’ll read that thread once i can get to my desk top. 😃

I have to say that I have yet to really clean my bladder even after a year of use,
      Even right now I have what is left of the water I used when I was in Kingman… I do use Bottled water but the ice I add… Well it seems I should give it a good bath…. 😃

There should be very little "growth" in a camelbak in the first place. Such as long you don’t put other items in there instead of water only…Do not put anything that contains sugar..Big mistake, the second that stuff gets in there is a chance of growing things in there..Personally what Chilly mentioned on the previous thread is what I do as well…I give it a cleaning with baking soda after I clean it with antibacterial soap. I also use filtered water in the bladder. I don’t waste money purchasing bottled waters. I have the same built in filters at home more or less. I also clean and drain the camelbak after every ride.

Perhaps the salient points from this, and the microbiologist thread should be consolidated into a sticky?

i.e. keep it dry, don’t stick anything but water in it, mild detergent first, baking soda next, commercial tablets (or baking soda and very dilute bleach;same as the tablets) if you forget about it and it gets funky… And of course, rinse it well, and try not to forget it for a month (in the back seat;in the closet;in the cabinet;whatever)

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.