Chris Farley's family sues Trek over fat bike name

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author

Somehow I never made the connection between the Trek Farley and deceased comedian Chris Farley. Apparently the family of Chris Farley sees it differently and is suing Trek for $10 million for misusing his name.

Chris Farley’s Family Sues Trek Bikes Over ‘Farley’ Fat Bike

What do you think: Did Trek intend the Farley fat bike to be associated with the famous “fat guy in a little coat” comedian?

If they did intend the association, the bike’s not nearly fat enough.

I don’t make the connection, but that’s just me.

Who was Chris Farley?

I never made the connection either, but I also never really thought about it. Now that I am thinking about it, it could make sense, but I can’t say for sure one way or the other. It could be names after someone’s dog or cat, for all I know.

I guess only the folks at Trek know for sure and, if Chris Farley’s family is correct in their contention, it’s kind of disappointing to me that Trek would go there.

I always thought the ‘Farley’ was a play on ‘Harley’ as in “Farleys not “Harleys” I know there’s the fat connection but it’s not like Chris Farley had anything to do with cycling/bicycles. It seems to be a bit of a cash grab to me.

The cbs article mentions that Chris Farley was born and raised in Madison, not far from Trek HQ. Methinks the name was not a coincidence. I’m guessing Trek has committed a large donation to Farley’s foundation since they are allowed to continue using the name.

Apparently, from what I’ve read both here and other sites, I’m in a small minority of people who immediately made the connection.  I just assumed someone at Trek was a big fan of Tommy Boy or early 90’s SNL…

Ive always seen it as a homage thing. I didnt realize their HQ was so close to his hometown though.

I have always made the connection and thought it was brilliant! I wonder if the family of John Belushi will now sue RockShox for naming their fat bike shock “Bluto”!

Sued over fat farley… Sucks to be Trek. Hard to imagine that they would be inclined to believe any such association would sell.

As a Wisconsinite, Chris Farley is one of my heroes. That the bike was honoring(?) him was actually the initial thought that popped into my head when I first saw a Trek Farley. I just always thought they had permission in the first place.

seriously?   trying to make bank on the memory of a dead fat guy?  not trek but his family…
      disgusting…

not trek but his family…

That’s a weird take, considering this has been settled by Trek and it has pretty much been acknowledged that Trek was using Chris Farley’s fame and identity to sell bikes.

Viewing 14 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.