choosing grips

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author

been shopping for new grips…..is one better than the other??? Anyone got GEL Grips??? HELP!!!!

Thanks!!! I will check them out..Hey went and rode Markham for the first time….AWESOME!!! Can’t wait to go back…going to ride Turkey creek, and Tillman canal( fruit trail??? I never saw any fruit….hahah) this weekend….Jonathan is still flooded in some parts… can you recommend a web site for those grips???

so whats the deal with lock on grips????

"yarb4" wrote

so whats the deal with lock on grips????

Easy to remove and re-use.

Go with the lock on, they never come off unless you want them to, and they are easy to replace. I have the odi ruffians They’re Grrrreat!

I just put on a set of ODI Yeti Lock-On Grips and I love’em. While the lock-on i very easy to change, some compressed air make the standard grips pretty easy to change too..

I’ll agree with Mongoose. The locking RaceFace grips are really good. I just purchased a pair myself. I felt them at a LBS and loved them just holding them in my hands. It almost sounds like I am describing something else.

I just got the Race Face Good n Evil’s…I must say they were a great recommendation Mongoose…I love them

Here’s my update on grips….liked the Race Face grips however, they are for larger hands!!! Also got the ODI Rouge lock on ‘s ….Love em…super easy to install and super sticky!! Thanks all…especially Mongoose..your info allways gratefully appreciated!!!

i beg, borrow, buy every set of ODI Yeti’s i can get. dow to one set in my stash.

"yarb4" wrote

\Also got the ODI Rouge lock on ‘s ….Love em…super easy to install and super sticky!!

That’s exactly what my Hifi is rockin’ and they are sweet grips indeed. Enjoy!

I went and picked up a set of the yeti odi lock on’s and I really like the look’s,the feel,and size of em.They were easy to install,my brake lever’s were already perfectly in place to accept the grips.
      The only thing that was a pain was the 2.5 mm hex key I didnt have so I had to go back to the lbs and have em scrounge me up one from the service area.
      My specialized grips that I liked the feel of,but were practically sliding off the handle bar’s,just had to be replaced.

The grips on my new GF Tass are on the short list for upgrade. I didn’t like them much from the start, and they tend to start slipping off the bars while riding, which makes me wonder: how do the lock ons work?

The grips on my new GF Tass are on the short list for upgrade. I didn’t like them much from the start, and they tend to start slipping off the bars while riding, which makes me wonder: how do the lock ons work?

If your having problems with grips slipping on your bars,then lock on’s are your magic ticket.My stock specialized grip on the left side came completly off the handle bar one day on the trail,almost biffed it bad,but I saved it,hahahaha.Before my next ride,I had bought and installed the Yeti ODI lock ons and they dont move at all,plus they look really cool with the silver lock rings

I understand what you mean, fleetwood…the grips that come stock on Fisher’s are pretty craptastic. I upgraded to Race Face Good ‘n Evils, and I absolutely LOVE them. It took a bit of work to get on, but man they don’t slip for anything. I’d highly recommend them regardless of your style of riding.

I currently have ODI/Yeti non-locking grips and they are reasonably comfortable and look great, but they don’t stay put and it’s driving me nuts.

My particular issue is that my brake and shifters ride somewhat inboard and the grips slide in until they settle there.

My friend has a set of Ergon clamp-on grips that he let me test drive, and they are AWESOME! I’m picking up a set this week.

http://phattire1.stores.yahoo.net/ergongx1grips.html

I like the ODI lock-ons, and the lizard skins are made by them, but the magic of the Ergons is the palm rest. Check them out, you’ll see what I mean.

When I finally move out of FL either next year or the next for the mountains, I will be getting them for my new AM MTB I will be getting next year.

Are you gonna be moving to where I think your gonna be moving,or am I going in wrong direction with this??????Ya know,by the family that has mountains by them,kinda close to where yours truely resides???

Just a quick tip for madslacker… Umm If your planning on doing all mountain typer riding then perhaps the GA1 would suit you better compared to the GX2 that you are looking at..The GX (XC race) series with the slightly smaller palm rest is ment for long distance and little hand rotation. But if you plan on doing stunts or trying to rotate your hand on the grip then try the GA1. I had a written an article on both here in the blog so you may wanna check it out.

Cheers.

"element22" wrote

Just a quick tip for madslacker… Umm If your planning on doing all mountain typer riding then perhaps the GA1 would suit you better compared to the GX2 that you are looking at..The GX (XC race) series with the slightly smaller palm rest is ment for long distance and little hand rotation. But if you plan on doing stunts or trying to rotate your hand on the grip then try the GA1. I had a written an article on both here in the blog so you may wanna check it out.

Cheers.

I’ve tried out both on friends’ bikes and my plan is to put the GX on my trail bike for XC riding and the GP on my commuter.

Viewing 19 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.