Checked out Schaeffer Farms yesterday

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Finally got a chance to get over to Schaeffer farms. Wow!! What a cool place to ride. I’m nursing a sore back, so we only rode the white loop. It was sweet!!

Can’t wait to feel better and get back out there to tackle the yellow loop.

Hat’s off to MORE. They did a great thing.

Bryan

cool i like to here how the yellow one is how technical is it,

i definately wish it was a closer drive to get there. Schaeffer is so fun with a lot of fast flowing sections

I have been meaning to check out Schaeffer Farms. I live in Odenton, Md (across from Ft. Meade). I was wondering where excatly are they located at?

Thanks in advance,

John

Schaeffer Farm is located in Montogery county. Here are some basic directions from route 270

1. Take I 270 North
      2. Take route 117 West Clopper road. Go 4.5 miles along Clopper road. Just past the 8th light at route 118 turn left onto Schaeffer road. Follow Schaeffer road for 2 miles then turn left at Black Burn Farm. Follow the trail parking sign to the parking lot.

4.5 months later I have ridden all but 1 or 2 of the orange trails. Both of the loops are fun, fast and flow really well. The white loop is easier than the yellow but neither is particularly difficult for an experienced mtn biker. Novices will find PLENTY of opportunities to improve their singletrack bike handling skills.

Bottom line: I live an hour away and it’s well worth the drive.

My buddy and I checked out Schaeffer Farms yesterday. What a ride! We live about 45 minutes away and it was well worth the drive. However, we got there early thinking we would beat the crowd…it was freaking packed 😮 ! Luckily the network of trails is pretty open so you don’t run into other mountain bikers that much. We stuck to the yellow trail and played around with the orange trail some. In my humble opinion it is better than Rosaryville. We might go this weekend depending on the weather.

John

Hey John,

The reason it was packed was because there is a mountain bike race being held there today. I’m sure that a lot of racers were pre running the course yesterday.

Go back on a non race day weekend and while it will be busy I don’t think it will be anything like you experienced yesterday.

Bryan

"Bryan_Lee" wrote

Hey John,

The reason it was packed was because there is a mountain bike race being held there today. I’m sure that a lot of racers were pre running the course yesterday.

Go back on a non race day weekend and while it will be busy I don’t think it will be anything like you experienced yesterday.

Bryan

That would explain a couple things. One, the amount of people there. Second, the a**holes who ran my buddy and I off the trail. We were on the yellow trail and we were going at what we thought was a good rate of speed wasn’t fast enough. They did not even say "on your left/right". In fact they did not say anything at all. I counted 3 of them (I had to stop counting and concentrate on not trying to crash). My buddy and I luckily got off the trail safely to let these guys pass. They did not look like your typical weekend warriors (from what they were wearing and their bikes). It is all good though, we still had a blast and I am counting down the days till Saturday.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.