Changing the brakes

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Tried messing around with my front brakes and the bold that holds the cable wont grip the cable. So I have no front brake because the wire keeps slipping through.

I was wondering if these fit on all bikes or just particular brands?

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/ … Brake.aspx

-Chris

the bold that holds the cable wont grip the cable.

Is the cable unraveling?It doesnt take much for a cable to need replacing,from what you described,it sounds like the cable needs replacing but you didnt mention wether or not the bolt is deffective in some way,are the threads stripped out or somthing?

Sometimes people loose the clamping plate behind the bold and the cable won’t tighten down. Check your LBS if they have that part. While your at it check to see if you have a cable that will need replacing as well..
      For that small amount of cash $13.95 it may be worth that upgrade. And get yourself a new cable while your at it…Life will be good after that. But please remember to not over torque that pinch bolt it only takes about 6 ft/lbs. Which is not a whole lot.

I believe my brake cable does need to be replaced. The end is fraying the whole line is covered in rust. The problem I’m having with the bolt is when I tighten it, it will start to grip the cable tight and then all if a sudden loosen its grip as I keep turning it. Also with the brake forks the right side sits close to the wheel and the other one does not. The one that sits further away from the wheel is the only one that moves when you press the brake? I tried to ajust them but like i said when I tried to tighten the bolt to make the cable tighter it just slips though.. 😳

when I tried to tighten the bolt to make the cable tighter it just slips though

So your holding the cable end with a pair of pliers to take the slack up in the cable and put a little tension on it in order to set the brake shoe to rim gap and then when you tighten down the pinch bolt it’ll hold at first and then as you tighten it,the bolt loses it’s hold.Sounds like the bolt threads are partially stripped like they were over tightened like element22 said…….

By the way,it sounds like that cable is WAYYYY past it’s sevice life,replace it………………………..

Can the pinch bolt be bought by itself?

More than likely its not the bolt that is stripped rather the softer aluminum arm of the brake.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.