Chainstay guards.

Forums Mountain Bike Forum Chainstay guards.

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Hey guys, I’m looking to buy a chainstay guard (Lizard Skins Chainstay Guard) to reduce some of that noise I get, but since my LBS doesn’t sell any (odd, I know) I can only buy them online, but I don’t know what size to get, they come in Standard, [size=150:6rkxligw]Jumbo[/size:6rkxligw], [size=175:6rkxligw]Super Jumbo[/size:6rkxligw], now what kind of sizing is that? It doesn’t necessarily have to be the Lizard Skins either, that’s just the first decent one I came across.

I want to buy one for my Trek 4300, I looked up the length of the chainstays and the Trek says they are 43 cm (16.9 inches).

Any and all help or advice is appreciated, as always! 😃

No clue about the lizard skins thing, but have you considered the ol’ inner tube trick (it’s free if you have an old inner tube). Simply cut about a 2 foot length of tube, slice it down the middle, spiral wrap it (like wrapping a road bike handlebar) around your chainstay, cut off the excess, and secure it with some electrical tape (three or four wraps should suffice). It’s free, It’s functional, it almost eliminates noise from "chain slap", and when done right it looks good too. Hope this info helps out a little 😉 .

"slap8up" wrote

No clue about the lizard skins thing, but have you considered the ol’ inner tube trick (it’s free if you have an old inner tube). Simply cut about a 2 foot length of tube, slice it down the middle, spiral wrap it (like wrapping a road bike handlebar) around your chainstay, cut off the excess, and secure it with some electrical tape (three or four wraps should suffice). It’s free, It’s functional, it almost eliminates noise from "chain slap", and when done right it looks good too. Hope this info helps out a little 😉 .

The innertube solution is by far the most effective…and I’ve done it for years now. But I also indulged in the Liz Skin guard..these are neoprene with a nylon casing much like a wetsuit…they worked OK, but after a while all of the grit permeates the neoprene and plus the water, it ended up leaving an opaque haze on the carbon chainstays on my Scotts.

As for sizing of the skins…it’s not about length, it’s about the girth of the stay. Yep I use magnums LOL…sorry I couldn’t help it.

FWIW.
      Cheers.

Two words:

Gorilla Tape

The stuff is incredibly sticky, can be cut to size and, most importantly, it is way cheaper than the name brand stuff.

The downside is it’s not shiny and you’re really limited on color availability. Think of the money you can save and use for more important stuff, like after ride beverages 😆 and all of a sudden, it doesn’t look so bad.

I went out & bought some black grip tape that’s intended for tennis raquet handles…works perfect and costs less than $3.

I have a lizard Skin and if I had to do it again I would recycle and go with an old tube.

Thanks guys, I have read about the old tube trick. I was just worried it might look cheap and noobish. But I’m all about recycling though, so I might give that a try.

Asfyxiate, I’d go with the LizardSkins chainstay jumbo size for your bike. Got one on mine and love it. Besides, they’re only like $7 bucks…how much money can you really save??

"JayTee" wrote

Asfyxiate, I’d go with the LizardSkins chainstay jumbo size for your bike. Got one on mine and love it. Besides, they’re only like $7 bucks…how much money can you really save??

7 bucks is 7 bucks…. I’m poor. Mostly because of my addiction to MTBing 😛.

Viewing 8 reply threads