Chain rust?

Viewing 29 reply threads
  • Author

JDH

OK, got a question. What is the best product out there to keep my chain from rusting every time I ride on wet or muddy trails?

I use a chain lube with a wax base (white lightning) to repel dirt and prevent water from oxidizing the chain links. If it’s already rusted, you may be S.O.L. though.

JDH

It’s not "rusted" to a bad point, just a few specks on the outside of the links, which leads me to believe there is a lot more going on in places I can’t see. I’m trying to figure out the best way to handle the wet/dry/muddy/soft (foliage debris)/rocky riding conditions up here in Alaska (Most fun trails up here have all the above riding conditions within a few miles).

Thanks for the advice; I will look into Rock "N" Roll Lubrication’s and ProLink Chain Lube. And I think I’ll take some of the advice off this web site http://www.nordicgroup.us/chain/ , for weekly cleanings. I ride a set of trails up here known as the STA trails ( http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_BO8hjwimwLo/S … or+V10.jpg ) 4 to 6 times a week, rain or shine and going through all that this site suggests after each ride would be a little too much. But with the up hill parts of these trails being a 2000 foot climb I’d hate to break my chain on one of the step parts 😮 !

Again thanks for the help!

to keep my chain from rusting every time I ride on wet or muddy trails?

Did you try a WET lube??Also,I got to wonderin how you are washing and cleaning your chain,sounds like you might be over doing somthing in the wash process where water is able to stay on the chain and lettin it start rusting.
      If you wash your chain and dry it real good and lube it up right after you wash it,you shouldnt be getting any rust.
      When I clean my chain,I just use a rag where I spray a good amount of chain cleaner(finish line citrus) to give the rag a decent soak so that the cleaner soaks into the links and the grime and just wipe it down enogh to get the big stuff off and make sure the cleaner soaks into the chain links so it breaks the grime down so that when I rinse it off with water,the grime just rinses out with the water and chain cleaner.I dont scrub my chain with a brush or anything,I just make sure it gets clean in this manner and blow dry it with compressed air and relube it as soon as I know it’s totally dry.And I also lube my chain at least the night before riding so the lube has a chance to dry or stick to the chain so it dont come off while your pedaling right arfter getting lubed.Anyone else care to share how they wash there chain?This way is’nt scientific or anything,it just works for me and doesnt give me any problems…

Steve,
      Keep in mind that here where we live we’d have to park our bikes in a swimming pool to induce chain rust.

Anyway, every other week I clean mine with Pedros degreaser and a shop towel. Then I lube it with Pedros, used to be Extra Dry, now Ice Wax, and spin the chain to work that in, then wipe it, then ride it around the cul de sac, then wipe it some more.

This is always mid-week, NOT ride day.

Once or twice a year I take it off and soak it for a couple hours in degreaser, dry it off and lube as described above.

The work commuter gets the above treatment, but more frequently cuz I keep getting caught in the freakin’ afternoon rain here… 😏

I can tell you what [i:3uz9260e]NOT[/i:3uz9260e] to use….

WD-40….

DO NOT USE on bike chains 😬

rock n roll, finish line are very good lubes. the white lightning i find a little more runnier, a thinner base.

I personally use and have found to love the White Lightning Clean Ride. If used properlly it keeps the chain clean and free of rust. However as soon as I finish my rides I re apply and wipe off the chain. That ensures that the bike stays clean and the chain free of crap…

I use dry lube all of the lubes suggested above are good though. My suggestion if its always wet, dry it off with a rag after rides and you probably wont have to much of a problem. Where I ride its so dry I maybe clean it once a month and lube once a week and its just fine. Hosing down and cleaning your bike to much can also cause problems elsewhere especially without sealed bearings…

I personally use and have found to love the White Lightning Clean Ride. If used properlly it keeps the chain clean and free of rust.

Would you care to go over how to properly use the White Lightning Clean Ride element,I am interested in trying the Clean Ride.

"steve32300" wrote
      I personally use and have found to love the White Lightning Clean Ride. If used properlly it keeps the chain clean and free of rust.

Would you care to go over how to properly use the White Lightning Clean Ride element,I am interested in trying the Clean Ride but have not used it before.I kinda like the idea of the self cleaning aspect..Thanks element

Here man, watch this vid right off the site, I personally also use it, I’ve found that the trick is to have the chain super clean to begin with. I think this video will help explain it. It’s been a while since I’ve watched it.

http://www.whitelightningco.com/lubes.htm

Sure Steve…

If you are a first time user of the Clean ride system do yourself and your chain a favor and grab hold of a can of chain cleaner. You could if you wanted to use the chain cleaner that Clean ride sells called Clean Streak or if your into Finish Line use their cleaner called Speed Degreaser. Either one is fine. The objective is to remove all the old stuff on the chain, so go liberal on it. Get it as clean as possible.

Once the chain is free of old oil. You now have to shake the bottle vigorously (some of the solids of the lube fall out of suspension) and then apply it to the chain as you back pedal. I would back pedal while applying the lube for about 3 crank throughs (enough to coat the chain once well) then let it sit for a bit to flash of the cleaning agents and allow the solids to solidify. Then reapply a second time… That should be it and your good to go.

After every other ride or every ride I reapply after the ride. (I apply after to ensure there is enough dry time).

About every 6th to 8th ride I clean the chain again.

Sounds exessive but thats why when I write articles and show the bike it looks clean. Also the biggest benifit to why I do this it to prolong the life of the components. The lack of dust and sand to the chain reduces wear.

Sure Steve…

Thank you element,I think I’ll give the Clean Ride a try.

Your welcome any time.

On the other hand, how much is your time worth? I shake my head when I read about the gyrations people go thru to maintain a chain. I mean, hey, you can usually pick up a decent chain for $20-30. I lube my chain when it gets noisy, wipe off the gunk, and ride again. I usually can get well over a thousand miles out of a chain with minimal effort on my part. More time riding, less time working on the bike. Seems reasonable to me.

Bonkedagain,
      Yes, but we live in a nice dry climate where we can get away with that. The people in the East, Southeast and Pacific Northwest would be buying chains every month or so.

Not to mention that cleaning is a great time to inspect the chain for wear or damage. A new chain can be had for $20-$30, but can you get one here, when it breaks?

Its not just a matter of keeping a chain clean. But the dirt and grim will wear the teeth of the cassette and the chain rings as well…

"element22" wrote

Its not just a matter of keeping a chain clean. But the dirt and grim will wear the teeth of the cassette and the chain rings as well…

Yes, exactly…

Bonkedagain..it’s ok though, somebody needs to help keep the bike parts stores open 😃

"element22" wrote

I must have some type of OCD, because no matter what my chain is "always" dirty, and can’t clean it enough. 😕

"Asfyxiate" wrote

I can tell you what [i:1xsfq2b8]NOT[/i:1xsfq2b8] to use….

WD-40….

DO NOT USE on bike chains 😬

I gotta ask-why not? It’s all I’ve ever used on a bike chain, including motorcycles for years…I’m new to the MTB thing, but I used it almost exclusively on my motorcycles also for years…

I’m not arguing, just asking the question-I’ve never had any issues using it, I’m sure there’s probably a better product for the application, but what’s the harm? Is it a dirt thing?

TRH

JDH

Here is a great explanation for why WD-40 is bad for chains.

http://bicycletutor.com/no-wd40-bike-chain/

Ok, thanks for the video. Still not entirely convinced, like I said I used it on my Honda and Suzuki sportbikes for years with normal chain/sproket wear over tens of thousands of miles, and that’s at a much faster chain speed than any MTB-but, I guess I’ll start using real bike chain lube just because.

TRH

"ChiliPepper" wrote

to lube up your ball joints?

http://www.dz-nuts.com/catalog/index.php?p=about

😼

hehe, I knew what you meant. (I’ve owned a Ford)

"First On Race Day"

I agree with slacker, its "First on Race Day"!
      Anyhow, how about for cleaning the chain? I think that the WD would work good for that, then blow out with the compressor, and apply a good dose of lube?

I use Pedro’s Degreaser.

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Are you struggling to get a smooth ride from your bike? Finding it’s not as enjoyable as usual? So, what’s your first point of call – it’s time to check your bicycle’s chain, of course. If you are someone who enjoys muddy rides through forests and wet trails, yet, you don’t put the effort in after your ride to clean and maintain your bicycle, then you may find yourself facing a build-up of surface rust. Unfortunately, a rusty bike chain can make you work harder during that trip and can even damage the drivetrain. Learn more: https://lytron-bike.com/</p>

My solution to chain rust is Connex 11sx stainless steel chain and soaked in hot wax bath

Been using Pedro’s degreaser here as well. Works great

Viewing 29 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.