Cassete Width

Forums Mountain Bike Forum Cassete Width

--
SHARES

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  BBelfield 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

have a giant talon with a 3×9 drivetrain, recently put a raceface narrow wide chainring on the front and ditched the front derailleur for a 1x setup.

My question is, can i put a 10 or 11 speed cassette on the back, or are those cassettes too wide for my current frame. Would upgrade to Shimano slx or sram x7 drivetrain, would this be compatible?

Yes, Shimano 9, 10 and 11 speed all use the same hub. Keep in mind that you’ll be investing a decent chunk of change into the cassette, derailleur, shifter and chain.

Yes, Shimano 9, 10 and 11 speed all use the same hub. Keep in mind that you’ll be investing a decent chunk of change into the cassette, derailleur, shifter and chain.

In addition, you can also fit SRAM cassettes up to 10-speed on the same driver body. If you want to go up to SRAM 11 or 12-speed, you’ll need an XD driver, and depending on your current setup, you could possibly run into issues.

Reiterating what was already said, yes that would work. And yes, Sram works 10spd and down but your best performance for the dollar is shimano slx.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.