Can’t get stem tight enough on steerer tube

Tagged: ,

Viewing 28 reply threads
  • Author

I have a Trek X-Caliber that I just replaced the stock stem on with a Answer ROVE AM stem. I had the LBS do it. When I got home I noticed the handle bars were a little crooked. Come to find out if I held the tire, I could rotate the stem on the steerer tube with moderate pressure. I tried to tighten it down. I don’t want to go too far. I could still move the stem though… Didn’t seem like it made much of a difference. Any suggestions!?!?!?

Pics would help.

Are you trying to tighten the stem using the bolt on the top of the cap or the bolts on the side of the stem? The bolt on the top cap is used to tighten the headset, not the stem.

I am tightening the two bolts on the stem. I have them tightened down pretty good and can still rotate the stem on the steerer tube. Having issues adding pics. I hit the Img button and it doesn’t let me browse to a pic. Must be doing something wrong.

"ablack84" wrote

I am tightening the two bolts on the stem. I have them tightened down pretty good and can still rotate the stem on the steerer tube. Having issues adding pics. I hit the Img button and it doesn’t let me browse to a pic. Must be doing something wrong.

More info on posting photos to the forum: viewtopic.php?f=101&t=7164

Also, if you’re tightening those two bolts and it’s still not solid, I’ve got no clue…

I have the same stem and have no issues with it. You said you tightened them "pretty good" do you have at least 70-80 in-lbs of torque on them? (that’s what they require) There’s no real reason that should be happening other than you not having those bolts tight enough. Maybe you have a freak stem that has a wider opening than it should? lol.

[url:php8ne3i]http://www.answerproducts.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/46-26458_Answer_stem_installation.pdf[/url:php8ne3i]

can you put a shim in there? You can get them on amazon.. Or you can cut an aluminum Beer can into a nice shim..
      Heres a link you will have to copy and paste…
      http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013U … 6FTVF5EEP5

"Spartan" wrote

can you put a shim in there? You can get them on amazon.. Or you can cut an aluminum Beer can into a nice shim..
      Heres a link you will have to copy and paste…
      http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013U … 6FTVF5EEP5

lol I wouldn’t think he has a 1" steerer on a Trek X-Cal…

I like the beer can idea though.

I am guessing your stem is not the right size for your steer tube. If you have the bolts tightened all the way and it still moves it is obvious that the steer tube is a smaller diameter than the stem. That being said it is usually obvious when one tube is too large or too small for another tube. So it could be a manf issue.

Sounds to me like something is out of spec, either the stem is too large or the fork steerer is too small. Have a LBS check it out.

Thank you all for your input. Much appreciated. Steerer tube is 1 1/8. I think I will just take to back to my LBS to have it checked out before I really screw something up on it. Can’t ride right now anyways thanks to this awesome Wisconsin winter….

Obviously there’s an issue. But to me the bigger issue would be this…

I had the LBS do it.

I wouldn’t even mess with it, if your LBS did the install it shouldn’t even have left the shop with the stem able to spin on the steerer.

Contact Answer…The folks there are very good and will help you out. They will ask you to measure the steering tube diameter to verify that there isn’t an issue there. But if there is a problem with their part and for what ever reason a defect has fallen through the cracks they will do what it takes to fix the problem.

I also emailed Answer myself I will try and get a response and let you know what to do.

Cheers

Alright guys, finally have an answer (no pun inteneded). I just picked my bike up from the LBS and turns out when they put the stem on, one of the spacers was just a little to big, so the the stem sat up just a little too high on the steerer tube. They switched out the small spacer with a little smaller one. The stem is solid and tight now. The spacer difference was only a few mm. Again, thank you all for your input, it was greatly appreciated. 😃

[quote="The spacer difference was only a few mm. [/quote]

I am always amazed in how big of a difference "a few mm" can make when wrenching on a bike. One thin shim or spacer in the wrong spot or missing make just ruin everything 😀

Always nice when its an easy fix to!

I know that the LBS fixed their mistake, but how did they let that go without checking their work! That could have been a bad day for the original poster had he not noticed that and tooke it out on the trail!

"Stl_Greaser" wrote

I know that the LBS fixed their mistake, but how did they let that go without checking their work! That could have been a bad day for the original poster had he not noticed that and tooke it out on the trail!

It could be any number of excuses on their part, could even be a legit one, but you are 100% correct, how could they not have spotted something like that?

"ablack84" wrote

Alright guys, finally have an answer (no pun inteneded). I just picked my bike up from the LBS and turns out when they put the stem on, one of the spacers was just a little to big, so the the stem sat up just a little too high on the steerer tube. They switched out the small spacer with a little smaller one. The stem is solid and tight now. The spacer difference was only a few mm. Again, thank you all for your input, it was greatly appreciated. 😃

Something is funky here, this doesn’t make any sense at all dude. Doesn’t matter where the stem is on the steerer tube, if you tighten the pinch bolts it should stay tight and not move. If the spacer height is wrong you could end up with some slop in the headset, but the stem will still be securely attached to the steerer.

Something isn’t right.

I was thinking the same thing dgaddis. Maybe I can’t picture what is happening here.

Maybe OP can post a picture of the stem and spacers, at least for a future reference so if this issue arises again we can refer to this thread…

I have always had great service at the LBS where I have my bike taken care of. The person who serviced my bike was a younger college kid who has always been a great resource for me. I will cut him a little slack. He couldn’t believe he missed that either. Yes, I was a little disapointed with this issue. I’m glad I caught it before it ruined my day on the trail. I am slowly learning how to repairs and upgrades myself so if anything goes wrong, I’m the only one to blame.

@ slipfinger, I will post pictures soon.

Thanks!

I’m worried something is out of spec. They’re explaination of the spacer really doesn’t make any sense.

The height of the stem on the steerer has no impact on the tightness of the pinch bolts. Even if the headset was loose, the stem being a few mm too high would not cause that too happen…it being a few mm too low would.

Nothing about this issue sounds right. I think you need a new LBS 😆

Maybe I do need to find a new LBS that has a little more experience…. Still pretty new to the MTB scene. Still figuring out all the how’s and why’s. All the input you guys provide sure helps.

If you have your stem at the very top of your steering tube, you are supposed to have a bit of a gap (~3-6mm) where the stem is actually higher up than the end of the steering tube. When you tighten the top cap of your stem into the star nut installed in the steering tube, it pushes the entire stem down the tube, through the spacers, and into the headset. Without any gap there, the top cap can’t put that needed pressure on the headset and your steering will feel loose and wonky.

In this case, I’d assume he had a larger gap than the 6mm cutoff and the stem that he had wasn’t able to get enough clamping force to hold onto the steering tube correctly even after he had correctly tightened the top cap. I’d have to assume that the top stem clamp bolt on the steering tube side of the stem just didn’t have enough tube to grab onto and hold itself in place.

Sounds like an honest mistake to me.

Great explanation Golden Goose.

I just had a light bulb moment 💡 . We are talking about headset spacers, I kept thinking about a shim between the stem and steerer tube.

We are talking about this;

Dumb Dumb me!

In the end I’m glad you got it all sorted!!

"slipfinger" wrote

Great explanation Golden Goose.

I just had a light bulb moment 💡 . We are talking about headset spacers, I kept thinking about a shim between the stem and steerer tube.

We are talking about this;

Dumb Dumb me!

In the end I’m glad you got it all sorted!!

^^that’s my point exactly. How could swapping a spacer for another that’s a few mm different have ANY effect on the stem’s ability to clamp the steerer?

Maybe they had a 20mm spacer and only 2mm of the stem on the steerer!!!! 😆

Mechanic says: just put the cap on and tighten her down no one will tell!!

Here is a picture. Probably could see it better if I took the top cap off. They took out the blue spacer (I am holding) and replaced it with the black spacer. Only a couple mm difference. I am thinking of lowering the stem further down on the steerer tube even more. Still playing around with where exactly I want it. Going to to do that job myself though.

I don’t want to drag this on, but seriously I think the shop messed up. I don’t believe that small amount of difference would prevent you from tighten the stem down enough to prevent movement.

If you want to mess around with the height before you cut it just move the spacers to the topside of the stem and ride around like that for a while to see if you like the height, the post below explains how to do it.

If you are planning to mess with it yourself here is a great post talking about steerer tube length and how to set everything up.

Viewing 28 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.