Cannondale vs. Giant Hardtail

Tagged: ,

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

Hello.

I’m kind of new to mountain biking and am looking to get my first real hardtail bike. (how often have you heard that?)

I’ve been looking at the 2008 Cannondale F7 Disc (an overstocked item at a LBS) and the 2009 Giant Yukon. I’ve researched both of them quite a bit. Both frames are very solid from what I’ve found, it has all come down to the components. I know they are 500-600 dollar bikes and aren’t going to have the best components that will last the longest, but I am just seeking advice on which would be a better bike considering components.

About an hour ago I was set on the Cannondale…but after looking even deeper into the components and research I might go with the Giant. But really…I have no idea what I’m going to get. I am smack dab in the middle…don’t know which one.

Any help and advice would be awesome. Thanks!

Welcome friend. Either bike will serve you well, because even if they are "only"500-600 dollar bikes, they are from established brands. Given the choice I would choose the Cannondale, for purely emotional reasons. About 10 years ago I rode a Cannondale and out of all the MTB’s I have owned (about 6), that is the one I would like to have back. Giants, on the other hand, when they first came out was discovered to have been made by Chinese prison labor (slave labor, as they received no money). Maybe Giant has changed their ways, maybe not, but either way Cannondales are a mythic brand. Every MTB’er should own at least one, once in their riding life. That’s my 2 cents worth of advice, take it or leave it but always remember that MTB’ing is all about the fun, not politics.

Attack life! It’s going to kill you anyway.

I have a yukon and love it. I looked at the Haro, Cannondale, Fisher, Trek in that price range and thought the were all relativly close. The Giant felt the best when I was on it.

I would suggest riding both around at the shop and go with which one feels the best. Also which shop treats you the best. This will help when you need repairs, advice on how to fix it yourself, etc.

Last note, when you finally go back bring cash and ask for your best deal. Most folks don’t realize that stores are charged 1-3% by the banks if a credit card is used.

"vincimus" wrote

Welcome friend. Either bike will serve you well, because even if they are "only"500-600 dollar bikes, they are from established brands. Given the choice I would choose the Cannondale, for purely emotional reasons. About 10 years ago I rode a Cannondale and out of all the MTB’s I have owned (about 6), that is the one I would like to have back. Giants, on the other hand, when they first came out was discovered to have been made by Chinese prison labor (slave labor, as they received no money). Maybe Giant has changed their ways, maybe not, but either way Cannondales are a mythic brand. Every MTB’er should own at least one, once in their riding life. That’s my 2 cents worth of advice, take it or leave it but always remember that MTB’ing is all about the fun, not politics.

Vincimus…you’ve contradicted yourself… "Mtbing is all about fun not politics" yet you throw out a political statement and stance about Giant bikes utilizing Slave Labor..which is false (similar to the rumors that impaired Airborne bikes). You’d be hard pressed to find any bikes that aren’t a result of Asian sourced labor and components, be it the Cannondale mentioned or a high end Italian carbon masterpiece. Both bikes and models mentioned are made in China and or Taiwan.

FYI: Giant is paying one of the largest employee bonuses for 08 = to 23 months salary. http://www.bicycleretailer.com/news/new … /2098.html

Thanks for the advice and thoughts. I have test ridden both. the cannondale just seemed more solid and firm and in better working order (thanks to the shop). At the moment I think i might get the cannondale because of the shop. they seem to care more about getting me a good bike than just selling me one.

thanks for the tip on bring cash not a credit card brianW!

I really believe you’ll be getting a superior frame in the Cannondale which will benefit in the long run (like upgrades)

Riding a MTB around the shop or streets won’t give you a TRUE feel of how it will feel on a technical trail, IMHO.

Well. I got the Cannondale F7 today. road it around in my neighborhood and school. didn’t take it trail riding because it cold out and suppose to rain. but it looks awesome and i can’t wait to ride it. just need a camalbak.

Hello! If you won’t mind my asking what is a hardtail bike exactly? I am confused with their names since they look like the same. By the way, who can suggest a good bike for newbies like me?

BigDave,
      I know you already selected, and I think you chose well…but I was going to say that you implied that the Cannondale was on clearance and the Giant was regular price…so I would assume the Cannondale would give you more bang for you buck. As you discovered though, it comes down to how it feels and fits. For example, my first real mountain bike was a Specialized Rockhopper, which I still own and ride as a commuter bike. Of all the various hardtails I sat on and took a spin on, this was the one that felt the best.

Don’t let the "$500-$600" scare you either. Bikes in this range typically have decent frames and a crapshoot in the components department. On my Rockhopper I have upgraded the fork and rear derailleur, and the cassette, chain, brake pads and handlebar grips were replaced due to wear. Everything else is OEM and still working fine.

"vincimus" wrote

…when they first came out was discovered to have been made by Chinese prison labor (slave labor, as they received no money). Maybe Giant has changed their ways, maybe not, but either way Cannondales are a mythic brand.

Yeah, that statement is going to require a citation, oh wait, it’s just plain false.
      Taiwan is a free state that is part of the Republic of China against their will. There is a plethora of reading on the topic. The US formerly had a treaty with them to help protect them against mainland China’s aggressions. That was absolved by President Carter, who also signed another agreement whereby the US sells military hardware to Taiwan for their own defense. (Reference)
      Bottom line, Taiwan is part China by political association only, much like Hong Kong after the expiration of Britain’s control. Taiwan is NOT mainland China in terms of human rights violations.

As for bike manufacture, in the above case BOTH of those bike are made in Taiwan.
      Also, as of 2010, Cannondale is moving all of their production to Taiwan.
      On a related note, Giant manufactures frames for a number of bike brands, including Trek, Specialized, Schwinn, and Bianchi.

The big picture is pretty clear: around 95% of the bikes sold in the U.S. are made in China or Taiwan by a handful of manufacturers of which Giant is the largest.

The simple fact is, Taiwan has a staggering production capability and an intelligent and industrious work force. The combined result is the ability to pump out a lot of well engineered and superbly welded aluminum frames at a decent cost. This allows the "American" companies to focus on R&D and promotion and keeps all of our prices down.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I should mention that I ride a Giant Trance. I’m not a fanboy by any means, but this bike is very intelligently engineered, impeccably built, and an all-around fun bike to own and ride, and it didn’t cost me the arm and both legs that I had planned to spend on a Yeti 575, which, umm, is also made in Taiwan… 😉

"vincimus" wrote

Thank you for the considering, I’m Chinese, and something i want to say is the most bike you can buy in your LBS may not made in china, but taiwan. the Giant KUNSHAN(in Shang Hai) bike factory seems only build low end bikes, and it’s mostly sold in mainland china, i have one, called ATX,not xtc, SO, don’t be guilty of buying a chinese bike. and by the way, the workers at mainland chinese bike factory may paid more than me, that’s true. because the most low-end level people is not the workers making high value exporting stuffs, it’s the vast of folk who support their life at a very low cost, so their labor can be so cheap.

just enjoy your bike!

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.