Can you bunny hop better with clipless ?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

I suck at bunny hopping, and I think I would like clipless at some point…

How much easier is it to bunnyhop ?

Clipless pedals are great for increasing your efficiency on rides, but if you do the bunny hop correctly the pedals would be a moot point.

I guess I’m saying it’s easier to cheat with the clipless, so practice without for good technique.

I believe in some ways it is much easier, however, if you are pulling up with clipless pedals and you don’t have a correct technique, it could throw you off a bit. Half of the "lift off" in the bunny hop is the actual "spring" from the crouching position, the other part is the tuck, when you pull your body in.

So if you are trying to pull your feet up, it might not be as smooth, but I guess it all depends on how you learn to do it, nobody is going to be the same.

I guess my bunny hoppin’ form isn’t legit – I can’t do it unless I’m clipped in. Never learned to do an ollie on the skateboard either but I bet I could do it with a snowboard strapped to my feet 😀

Ok, I wasn’t going to post this up at first. I haven’t talked to the guy that made it and I didn’t want to link a site with 75,000 users (ours) to his web page and crash the place but there’s just too many of us on here that need to check it out.

[url:1vf3cm23]http://www.secretreality.com/2008/02/mountain-bike-tutorials.html[/url:1vf3cm23]

This is, BY FAR, the best tutorial for bunny hopping that I have ever seen. He even has parts slow motioned and points out ALL the specific things he’s doing with his body. Check it out, you won’t be disappointed.

(To the guy that made this video: AWESOME work! I hope you’re cool with me posting this here as it NEEDS to be seen. Keep it up! If you start having any issues from too many people linking to the site and don’t want it linked, just let me know and I’ll take care of it. In the mean time, thanks for a great job.)

"Jeremy_Green" wrote

Ok, I wasn’t going to post this up at first. I haven’t talked to the guy that made it and I didn’t want to link a site with 75,000 users (ours) to his web page and crash the place but there’s just too many of us on here that need to check it out.

[url:t641ztqg]http://www.secretreality.com/2008/02/mountain-bike-tutorials.html[/url:t641ztqg]

This is, BY FAR, the best tutorial for bunny hopping that I have ever seen. He even has parts slow motioned and points out ALL the specific things he’s doing with his body. Check it out, you won’t be disappointed.

(To the guy that made this video: AWESOME work! I hope you’re cool with me posting this here as it NEEDS to be seen. Keep it up! If you start having any issues from too many people linking to the site and don’t want it linked, just let me know and I’ll take care of it. In the mean time, thanks for a great job.)

Oh yah, I think I ran into that on youtube, and I think the makers of this video, also have a second video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRtZQ0Y5 … onse_watch

I think that one goes into more of the skills, but I forget since I haven’t watched it in a long time. (Sorry didn’t mean to turn this into a bunny hop tutorial thread)

glad you did make it a how to cause i cant get high enough and am having problems

I guess the short answer is "yes"

I first learned to bunny hop on my BMX when I was a kid. By definition it had no suspension and flat pedals

I then did some more bunny hopping on my front suspension hardtail, still with flat pedals.

On that bike, going clipless helped me get the rear to come up as high as the front, accounting for the boost from the front suspension.

Now I have a full suspension and clipless, and maybe it’s cheating, but it is super easy and intuitive to compress the suspension, and then let ‘er rip, pulling up hard on my clipped in feet while pushing the handlebars forward…

On a side note, there are many other advantages to going clipless besides just bunny hopping…

To really put it in perspecticve, watch this video…he is not clipped in…
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z19zFlPah-o

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.