Can I convert a SRAM X5 crankset to 1x or 2x?

Mountain bike trails & Mountain bike reviews Protected: Forums Mountain Bike Forum Can I convert a SRAM X5 crankset to 1x or 2x?

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Hi there folks,

As the title states I’m wondering if it’s possible. I’m looking at a used crankset minus chainrings on eBay and am hoping for 2x as well as toying with 1x for the reduced cost and weight. I’m not quite sure what to search for and am coming up empty.

Thanks for your time!

"schwim" wrote

Hi there folks,

As the title states I’m wondering if it’s possible. I’m looking at a used crankset minus chainrings on eBay and am hoping for 2x as well as toying with 1x for the reduced cost and weight. I’m not quite sure what to search for and am coming up empty.

It’s listed as 104 and 64 BCD for the rings.

Thanks for your time!

I think the issue is alignment. With a dedicated 2x or 1x crank, the rings are aligned differently than they are on a 3x crank. For instance, with a 2x, neither of the rings mounted on a 2x crank are where rings on a 3x crank would be. They’re going to be centered as much as possible, to allow the chain to easily reach from the chain rings to the cogs on either end of the cassette without cross chaining issues. A 1x crank will center the chain ring on the rear cassette, which makes me think you could take a 3x crank and just mount a middle chain ring for a ghetto 1x conversion. It would be pretty ghetto, though, and I don’t think you’d drop a whole lot of weight by not including the other two chain rings and the front derailleur.

Thanks a bunch for your help, Greg. I didn’t know if the offset was handled at the spider on the crank or the mounting points on the chainring. I don’t know very much about this particular component group and am kind of just winging it as I look for a dirt cheap setup for the Yukon(I got the frame welded, yay!).

I think I’ll stick to sales that include both the crankset and chainrings.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.