CamelBak Lobo vs Osprey Raptor 6

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

Just went to REI and tried both on. Both have a similar fit but the Osprey is about 3 times the weight. It does have a stiff back that should help with comfort when filled with water so that’s probably where the weight is.

Anybody have experience with either or maybe both? Any opinions are appreciated.

I have the Raptor 14. It weighs 1lbs 14 oz… 5 oz more than the Raptor 6. The fit is great and very comfortable even with a full 3L bladder plus an assortment of tools and gear… my guess 10 to 12 Lbs on avg is what I carry. I can honestly say that the adjust-ability and balance is so good that I almost forget its there! The spine of the bladder is a excellent feature in that it keeps the bladder from barreling out against your back thus keeping you and your water cooler lots longer.

The nice thing about the Lobo, just like its smaller sibling the Rogue, is that it can be filled without removing the bladder.

I’ve got the Lobo and love it. Granted if you plan on all day trips you don’t have the storage space for a change of clothes. I usually ride a couple hours at a time and the Lobo is perfect. I have space for tools, energy bars, cell phone and even a spare tube. There’s material between you and the bladder so your body temperature won’t warm up the water. I’m impressed how long the water stays cold. (Although I jam pack it full of ice then add water) I’ve even had ice left over in the bladder when I got home. I’ve only ran out of water once at the end of a trail and that’s because I was borderline sick and sucking wind and just dying out there. 😢 The capacity is 3L which is a good amount of water. I guess I’m a little biased about the Lobo because I haven’t tried anything else.

I have the Camelbak LOBO and i love it. Its great if just take a couple snacks, some tools and a pump but if you plan to go on longer trips i would get a bigger pack.

Raptor! i love this pack, and i have owned the lobo too. Camelbaks return and fixing policy is not even close to ospreys. If you have any problem with any of your osprey packs. whether its from 1970 or 2011 you can send it in and they will look over the whole pack and fix every issue on it, and if they cant they will give you a new one! Ive sent in all my packs at one point (Three of them, summer, winter, and expedition) and they fixed things that i really never noticed, Great company. And yes it might be a bit more heavy but the rigid bladder is really easy to use and take in and out of your pack!

"achtungpv" wrote

Just went to REI and tried both on. Both have a similar fit but the Osprey is about 3 times the weight. It does have a stiff back that should help with comfort when filled with water so that’s probably where the weight is.

Anybody have experience with either or maybe both? Any opinions are appreciated.

Good idea to try them both on, but did you try them on while loaded? At REI they should have bean bag weights over in the backpack area. I would recommend trying both of them again with weight added. When I compared Camelbak and Osprey loaded, it was obvious that, for me, the Osprey was worth a couple extra ounces. I liked the fit so much that I got the Raptor 6 for short rides, and the 14 for all-day trips. Plus as others have said, Osprey really stands behind their products.

I have the raptor 14 as well and havent used my camelbak (MULE not the Lobo) since. Been eyeballing getting the raptor 4 for shorter rides.

Funny i should read this post now. I just came back from REI. I bought the Camelback. The REI I went to didnt have the Osprey bike packs in. I tried on my friends Osprey and it was heavy holding it full, but when I put it on the weight dissapeared because of the back support. I thought that was cool. i was going to get the Raptor 6 but the Camel back was a bit less expensive so I went with that.

well whatever! should work fine. Now you know if you dont like it you can go with the Raptor! Have fun!

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.