Cam Zink Edition Hyper DJ bike at Wal Mart for 200 bucks

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

[url:3ldclvgm]http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Hyper-Cam-Zink-Edition-Now-Available-at-Walmart.html[/url:3ldclvgm]

OBVIOUSLY this isn’t the bike he rode at Rampage. The Pinkbike banter really irritated me but I digressed from getting in a spat with every teenager in BC and decided to bring my POV here to have a civilized discussion with you fine folks.

I will say it: The way I see it, this is a good thing for our sport. While this bike obviously wouldn’t hold up to the paces that most of us would put it through, a grade school aged shredder hopping sweet jumps in his back yard and terrorizing every curb he encounters, would appreciate the hell out of this bike and his or her parents would appreciate the price point. Having said that, it will break eventually…it will probably need some adjustments here and there as well. The parents will find a LBS, the shop will charge them for the adjustments, and the LBS wins too!

That’s one of my points of view.

The other is that Hyper being an up and coming bike company with plans in the high end spectrum of things, is putting a high end riding pro’s name on this bike…I can’t decide if that’s a good or bad publicity stunt. When Hyper’s high end stuff is finally out, they will be known as the Wal Mart brand. I can’t even imagine the hard time Cam’s riding buddies give him for it lol.

What do you guys think? Try to keep the evil-sweat shop-walmarx opinions to a minimum. 😀

I’d say this is DEFINITELY good for the local bike shops. One guy I knew that owns a shop loved people who bought walmart bikes, because they would usually need a tune up right off the shelf and people would constantly break stuff on them. One thing most people don’t realize is that bike shops make most of their money off of repair work/maintenance and very little of it off of retail sales.

On the flipside, for the rider, while I can see the appeal of getting a really affordable bike for a kid to ride around on, I think they would be much better off in the long run in buying a legit mountain bike. I was going to say that they should just buy an Airborne Wingman instead, but that’s 2.5x the price of the bike listed above…

I read all the replies to this over at pink bike as well.

The other is that Hyper being an up and coming bike company with plans in the high end spectrum of things, is putting a high end riding pro’s name on this bike…I can’t decide if that’s a good or bad publicity stunt. When Hyper’s high end stuff is finally out, they will be known as the Wal Mart brand. I can’t even imagine the hard time Cam’s riding buddies give him for it lol.

Are the people that go shopping for a bike at Walmart even going to know who Cam Zink is? Further more, are the people who know who Cam Zink is, going to even want to ride a "Walmart bike". So I don’t really see the point in the bike even having Cam’s name associated with it. If it looks cool and the price is right, which it looks like it is, its going to sell no matter who’s name is on the bike.

I will say it: The way I see it, this is a good thing for our sport. While this bike obviously wouldn’t hold up to the paces that most of us would put it through, a grade school aged shredder hopping sweet jumps in his back yard and terrorizing every curb he encounters, would appreciate the hell out of this bike and his or her parents would appreciate the price point. Having said that, it will break eventually…it will probably need some adjustments here and there as well. The parents will find a LBS, the shop will charge them for the adjustments, and the LBS wins too!

I can’t agree more with everything you said JT. If I was a young kid again (despite the fact my wife thinks I still am) I would be all over this thing.

"slipfinger" wrote

Are the people that go shopping for a bike at Walmart even going to know who Cam Zink is? Further more, are the people who know who Cam Zink is, going to even want to ride a "Walmart bike".

Right! That’s the other thing I was thinking. That kid who gets this bike for his b-day or x-mas without knowing anything about mountain biking or Cam Zink may end up doing a few Google and YouTube searches. He may like what he sees, want to practice riding even more to become just like his newfound hero Zink. Which will definitely lead him to a "proper" bike sooner or later.

Anything that can help to get the newer young riders into the sport. You never know a kit that just so happend to watch Rampage and fell in love with the sport is in walmart with his parents and sees this bike. Guess what he is asking for. My parents couldnt afford much when I was younger and when I got into bmx freestyle on an old huffy and started breaking things It was everything they could do to get me a Dyno Compe and I was stoked! Just to go through walmart and to see the bike with threadless stems and three piece cranks for the price they are asking is astounding. You reall can get a lighter young kid into quite a nice bike for a very reasonable price from Walmart these days, that will actually last them a while too. I know a lot of the 20" bikes at walmart now are better speced then my 95 compe was at over double the price back then then they are asking for their bikes now!

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.