Cable routing question

Forums Mountain Bike Forum Cable routing question

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author

Heya folks!

I picked up my Fuji Reveal from the LBS, where they took the parts from my old bike and installed and set up the Fuji for me. I need to fine tune a little bit of cable routing, however and I’m not sure what I might need.

The issue is the rear hydraulic brake line. If you look at the pics you can see that the frame runs the dérailleur cables and the brake line on top of the top tube. The issue is that the brake line is just laying inside the guides and the cable is wandering underneath the dérailleur cables, causing some shifting issues. The LBS used three zip ties to try to tame the line, but other than wearing the paint off the frame, it’s not doing much else.

I’ve heard mention of some rubber bushings that you can will wrap around the brake line and insert into the guide, allowing a tight fit, but the LBS said that I would still have an issue at the center of the top tube.

Now, I’m definitely no guru, but I find it hard to believe that a bike that sold for 3k would utilize zip ties to keep this together. That being said, I have no idea how 😀

Here’s some pics of what’s happening:

Anyone have some ideas on how I can get this to work as well and look as clean as it should?

Thanks for your time!

Alright, I’ll take your collective silence to mean that you’re too busy digging through parts books in an effort to solve my problem to respond, but since I’m incredibly impatient:

Are these what I need? I can’t find any pics of them in use, but some comments seem to indicate that it’s intended use is for the housings and not the cables.

On one of my bikes the brake housing setup is similar. They slide over the hose and snap into the housing. The Jagwire things may work if they will go over the hose and snap in. I think that you can find clamp on housing as well, and you could run the hose under if you wanted.

These are what my Cannondale uses, I think you need something like this…..http://www.cannondaleexperts.com/Cannon … p_196.html

What about something like this: [url:3e6gw2rm]http://www.pricepoint.com/Brand/Alligator/Alligator-The-Gripper-III-Stick-on-Cable-Guides.axd[/url:3e6gw2rm]

Or this: [url:3e6gw2rm]http://www.pricepoint.com/Brand/Alligator/Alligator-The-Gripper-2-Zip-Tie-Hydraulic-Hose-Guide.axd[/url:3e6gw2rm]

Or possibly even this: [url:3e6gw2rm]http://www.pricepoint.com/Brand/Alligator/Alligator-The-Gripper-Bolt-On-Hydraulic-Hose-Guide.axd[/url:3e6gw2rm]

I can’t believe the bike shop used the wireties to attach I would recheck all their work and find a new shop with better quality control.

Well, my next closest shop is almost two hours away, so there’s not much shopping around to do in that regard. I usually handle my own repairs but lacked some necessary tools for the parts move-over, so I’ll just be happy that I got it done. I ordered some of these and will see how it works. Kind of a shot in the dark, but I can’t find diddly on this frame specifically.

Rode with a guy with a specialized today he had factory holes at the base of those cradles with a small thin wiretie holding down the line. Worse case you could drill small holes and use that method at least you would not have wireties around the whole frame. If you want I could get photo next time I see him didn’t think of it today. At least you are riding.

"schwim" wrote

Well, my next closest shop is almost two hours away, so there’s not much shopping around to do in that regard. I usually handle my own repairs but lacked some necessary tools for the parts move-over, so I’ll just be happy that I got it done. I ordered some of these and will see how it works. Kind of a shot in the dark, but I can’t find diddly on this frame specifically.

Those that you ordered from amazon are indeed necessary, but I’m concerned they won’t fully solve the problem. They’ll allow you to remove the zip ties at either end, but I imagine the one in the middle will still be needed to prevent drift. -kconnor- was spot on with his suggestion of these. You don’t have to go with that brand, or buy from pricepoint, but a lot of bikes come with those out of the box. The adhesive will prevent drift, and keep that ziptie on it (or near it) because it will fall off after time.

For the record, zipties are common in good shops on good bikes, and not jenky. Forks in particular over the last decade often have had no guides for hydraulic lines. Simple fix.

"schwim" wrote

Alright, I’ll take your collective silence to mean that you’re too busy digging through parts books in an effort to solve my problem to respond, but since I’m incredibly impatient:

Are these what I need? I can’t find any pics of them in use, but some comments seem to indicate that it’s intended use is for the housings and not the cables.

The ones you referenced here are used (primarily on road bikes) where the cable housing enters the frame on the downtube. It often rubs against the headtube, wearing off the paint. You pop those on, or alternatively put a clear sticker at the point protecting the paint.

Thanks a bunch for all the help. I’ll keep an eye out for some of the grippers from a vendor that doesn’t charge quite so much shipping for them or wait for PP to do another free shipping special.

"schwim" wrote

Thanks a bunch for all the help. I’ll keep an eye out for some of the grippers from a vendor that doesn’t charge quite so much shipping for them or wait for PP to do another free shipping special.

Free shipping:

http://www.amazon.com/Rockwerks-Cable-G … ble+guides

It’s strange that the hose fits so loosely in the guide…it’s gonna rattle around like a SOB.

Well, I might be wrong, but I think it was supposed to use some of the rubber guides we’ve been discussing. I’ve not seen a fully assembled Fuji, so I’m not sure how it was done from the factory.

That is some shoddy work by what is supposed to be a pro mechanic! The rubber grommets will help tremendously. The frame should have come with those actually. You’ll still have a little wander in the middle for sure but should be fine. Good luck! BTW, where do you live? I may have to move there and open a shop…

I live in Western NC, but have to travel to N. GA to get to get to a bike shop.

No hate and discontent here. I’ve got my grommets and sticky saddles on the way, so all is good!

Viewing 15 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.