Buying a bike online?

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author

So I’m in the market for a new full suspension xc bike. I’ve been to a half dozen LBS hoping to find a deal, thinking they may have something from last year that they want to get rid of.

I’m finding that there is currently a very limited selection of bikes in my size available locally. And what is available isn’t a great deal. For example, a Stumpjumper Comp for $1899 is about the biggest discount I’ve found for a properly sized bike in my price range.

On the other hand I’ve found some great deals on very interesting bikes online. I’ve found several bikes that list for ~3000 that are being sold for ~60%, making it possible for me to consider bikes I would have never thought of at the start of my search.

So what’s the problem? I don’t know how to shop for a bike online. Of the 6 bikes I’m interested in, only one is available locally. I’d have a hard time buying that one online as I’m on a first name basis at the LBS that distributes those bikes(no he can’t come anywhere near the online price and I can’t afford to buy from him otherwise–he’s a high-end shop). Of the other 5, how can I purchase without knowing if I’ll like the handling characteristics or the fit?

So I’d appreciate any hints, tips, suggestions you all could offer.

Thanks in advance.

I have only bought a bike online once and that is my most recent bike, the Sette Ace. Thye do have sizing charts but those only helo a little bit. When buying online you are taking a chance of if the bike feels right or not. If you are flexible about the fitting of the bike you should be fine buying online.

I don’t know where you are looking for an online bike but I would recommend going to pricepoint. They sell Sette brand bikes and give you a great deal.

Good look and happy searching!

Well I bought my bike online because i wanted a bike that performs like its $2500, but only costs half that. It sounds like you’re thinking the same way…

Things to consider:
      Does it come with the original warranty?
      Are you going to have the money to get it tuned up every so often? because you wont get those free tune-ups that most bike shops give you.
      Is it a trustworthy dealer? I would email them and ask for specific pictures of your bike. And make sure they will help you out in case something happens during shipping, or just isn’t right with the bike.
      Is the bike going to fit right?

I personally drove 45 minutes away to the closest bike shop that was selling the one i was looking at online to find out what size i wanted, then went straight home and bought it online for $1000 less.

It has huge advantages if you know what you want.

I know the feeling. I did a large amount of online research before I bought my bike. It seemed like I was rolling the dice. However the money saved was what made me do it. I was happy with my bike once I had a chance to ride it.

Do you have your heart set on a new bike? Around here there are tons of high-end bikes that are in good shape.

I’m assuming from your geo-tag that you are in the Burlington area. Earl’s has their big bike swap in two weeks (SkiRack and Alpine Shop have them, too) and there are tons of good options on craigslist locally. At least then you can take the bike for a spin.

I don’t mind buying components online, but frames, I prefer to test on a trail

Buy online, I have done it twice now. I have a Sette Reken which is just a frame that I built up. I also have a Windsor Wellington 3.0 which is a road bike from http://www.bikesdirect.com. What are you looking to spend, and on what kind of bike?

I’d really look a little closer at your local shops. Talk to the guy you’re on a first name basis with. Ask what the best they can do is, and tell them straight up that you found the bike online for $XXXX.99 You might be surprised at what they can do…they might not match it exactly, but might get close enough.

Remember, you buy locally, you get a lot of freebies thrown in. Free tune ups, they handle any warranty issues, etc.

And honestly – if the shop supports the local scene (hosts mtn bike events, does trail work, donates to the local advocacy group, etc) it’s in your best interest to buy locally, even if it means spending more money. Let them know you appreciate what they do, and that’s why you choose them over another shop, or online.

The online retailers don’t give a damn about you or your local trails – but the guy at the LBS does.

Nothing is free, the cost of the tuneups is included in the slightly higher price. For the price his LBS wants to sell a Stumpjumper comp he can get this http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/mot … team_x.htm. Look at the Specialized site, they are selling it for 150 or so more dollars than Specialized Suggested retail price. http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBC … temId=9247

I’m assuming he’s either talking about a carbon comp, or typo’d the price, since he said it’s a discount.

I’m a big fan of supporting the folks that support your scene. The flip side – if the shop doesn’t give back, and you can do all of your own work, might as well go online.

We’ve got 3 local shops in town. Two of them host events, do trail work, and donate to the local SORBA chapter – both money and prizes for events SORBA hosts. The other does not, even went asked. You rarely see any of their bikes on the trails.

he said hes looking for a full suspension XC bike so i would say he ment a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp which is $2200 MSRP so $1850 is a decent deal at about 15% off, but not the best as thier are better deals out there, but on the flip side if your looking to buy a Specialized bike you can not buy one online, you would have to get it from a LBS or find someone that has a used Specialized bike for sell.

I still say support the local shop. Earls, SkiRack, and Alpine Shop all support local trail work, events, and the like.

I do my own building and tuning, but I go buy the bike from a LBS. I don’t rely on them for the service, just the sale.

Having friends at the LBS is key. I have gotten several pro-deals on parts and frames, just for that reason.

"8valvegrowl" wrote

I still say support the local shop. Earls, SkiRack, and Alpine Shop all support local trail work, events, and the like.

I do my own building and tuning, but I go buy the bike from a LBS. I don’t rely on them for the service, just the sale.

Having friends at the LBS is key. I have gotten several pro-deals on parts and frames, just for that reason.

Bought a Derailleur hanger from Earls just the other day, still need to pick it up. I ordered it, they said it would be in Wednesday. Well it never came, called them up they said it was back ordered. The minute they told me that, I ordered one online, had it the next day. I had planned on buying new gloves, and helmet while I was there but I never went so I bought everything at Jenson USA, paid for overnight shipping and got it in a blink. Lost a sale because they didn’t get it when they said they could. Needed my stuff fixed by that Thursday, the hanger came the next day.

They did rise to the occasion when I just walked in with a broken hanger from my Windsor Road Bike. The guy sifted through all the hangers. When he didn’t find it he ordered one. But fell short in the end, not exactly there fault but it still put me in the inconvenient place.

The Ski Rack saved me when my shifter broke. They sold me a X.7 Set for 47 dollars which was 20 bucks off there price and exactly the online price at Price Point. You dont need to be best friends with your bike shop to get a good deal, or get good service. You just need to have passion for biking and they will help you out the best they can. If they dont, then they dont deserve business from anyone.

I am not saying dont support your LBS, in fact most riders depend on them to work on there bikes, and they are handy in a pinch when you need a tube or some emergency item. Just not for me when it comes to my normal parts purchasing.

^Totally agree. I would say I do about 75-25 of my total bike parts transactions online vs local. But, with big ticket items (built bikes and frames), I almost always go to the shop and talk to them and try stuff out. I have had zero problems with any of the local shops other than the occasional backorder. I just say, don’t burn any bridges. Especially if you rely on them for service (which it sounds like you and I don’t).

"Vtolds" wrote

Nothing is free, the cost of the tuneups is included in the slightly higher price. For the price his LBS wants to sell a Stumpjumper comp he can get this http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/mot … team_x.htm. Look at the Specialized site, they are selling it for 150 or so more dollars than Specialized Suggested retail price. http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBC … temId=9247

===============

You gotta read the fine print…Specialized doesnt ship online orders unless you are an authorized dealer. I bought online for my first and I truly regret it. I had to mend some fences at the LBS but after buying a set of $900 wheels all was well again(and other countless items).

"Martino0626" wrote

[quote="Vtolds":pz9geo5u]Nothing is free, the cost of the tuneups is included in the slightly higher price. For the price his LBS wants to sell a Stumpjumper comp he can get this http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/mot … team_x.htm. Look at the Specialized site, they are selling it for 150 or so more dollars than Specialized Suggested retail price. http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBC … temId=9247

===============

You gotta read the fine print…Specialized doesnt ship online orders unless you are an authorized dealer. I bought online for my first and I truly regret it. I had to mend some fences at the LBS but after buying a set of $900 wheels all was well again(and other countless items).[/quote:pz9geo5u]

Did I say something about ordering online from Specialized?

As a student, these are words I live by. Buy used. Buy online! Hooray!

But I also crave the new hotness, super-light bike crabon, scandium and titanium bike stuffs. I bought the last two of my bikes on ebay, a Gary Fisher Hi-Fi and Niner Air 9.

If you know your frame size, or think you can adjust to fit, buying used will get you great deals on tried and true technology. Some people, like me, just can’t afford to get the new stuff. A few nicks in the paint doesn’t slow me down at all.

I order at my LBS whenever I can afford it. But for big purchases like frames and bikes, I typically go straight to ebay.

cambriabike.com
      jensonusa.com
      blueskycycling.com

"Vtolds" wrote

[quote="Martino0626":2gsdmq2w][quote="Vtolds":2gsdmq2w]Nothing is free, the cost of the tuneups is included in the slightly higher price. For the price his LBS wants to sell a Stumpjumper comp he can get this http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/mot … team_x.htm. Look at the Specialized site, they are selling it for 150 or so more dollars than Specialized Suggested retail price. http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBC … temId=9247

===============

You gotta read the fine print…Specialized doesnt ship online orders unless you are an authorized dealer. I bought online for my first and I truly regret it. I had to mend some fences at the LBS but after buying a set of $900 wheels all was well again(and other countless items).[/quote:2gsdmq2w]

Did I say something about ordering online from Specialized?[/quote:2gsdmq2w]
      ================
      I scored poorly in reading comprehension

Viewing 16 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.