Buyers remorse

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

So I decided to upgrade my mechanical brakes to hydraulic. Long story short, I ended up buying a pair of Avid XX without reading any reviews first. I know, stupid me. That definitely won’t happen again. I figured since they were towards the top of the line, I’d be safe. Then I read a bunch of reviews and now I’m thinking I bought an Edsel. So really, just how bad are they?

I’ve got them on three bikes right now and don’t have any issue with them. On a couple bikes in the past, I got the death-squeal. I went through a period of trial and error, replacing and sanding pads, rotors, bleeding the system. Replacing the Avid rotor with a Shimano solved it immediately in both cases.

If I ever buy another set of brakes, I’ll buy Shimanos just because they’ve got better modulation(at least the pair I tested on my brother’s bike did), but I’ll run my Avids into the ground before I worry about it.

"schwim" wrote

Replacing the Avid rotor with a Shimano solved it immediately in both cases.

Good to know about the rotors.

I had noticed that almost all of the reviews were from 2013 or earlier. I guess I’ll give them a shot and see.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.