Building a bike vs just buying one

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author

I am researching a new bike right now, and I had a thought: What if I build one?

I finally tried out an Anthem 29er, and I loved it. But the bottom X3 comes with a really low end fork (not even rebound?), which I really don’t want. I dunno if the X2 is better here or not, have not seen one in person/didn’t ask.

Should I buy the X3 and then purchase the fork I want and upgrade the wheel set and drive train over time? Or should I buy a frame and build it with what I want from the ground up?

I am leaning towards buying the X3 and just swap stuff out, selling the old off as needed.

Also, if you’d like to donate money to my new bike fund, please feel free. 😄

If money is currently a concern and you have the mechanical skills to pull it off, get the cheap one now and change what you want as you get the money. You may actually find that some stuff doesn’t need replacement. If nothing else, you’ll have back up parts if something breaks.

I bought my Giant Trance as a frame and spent the winter looking for deals on components. I had fun shopping, had fun assembling, and had it ready to ride in March. I also learned some things in the process that will help me if I do it again.

A custom build will cost more than a prebuilt bike but it will be exactly what you want. If you have the time and the money you will be better off building it with the parts you want. You can buy a pre built but then you will be spending more money when you want to upgrade. A friend of mine is having a hard time selling her other forks so it may not be that easy to sell your old stuff.

If you didn’t have the money, buying a cheaper bike and upgrade it, is a good solution, but a more expensive one too. Maybe you can get some used parts at ebay

I’ve never found a bike that came from the factory "exactly" as I wanted it. So, for the couple of times that I bought an off-the-shelf bike, I’ve always would up paying a good bit more to make the changes I want. After doing this a couple of times, I finally decided that the best plan was to buy the components I wanted and assemble them on the frame I want in the first place. The initial cost is most likely greater doing it this way, but that cost is probably less than I would have spent on upgrades — and I get the benefit of having a unique bike.

BTW, I have never been able to sell the stuff I have taken off of a stock bike to compensate for the upgrade cost. I currently have a complete mountain bike in a box as a result of parts replacement. But I find that the stock parts are almost worthless on the resale market — try selling a set of wheels with Shimano "no-group-name" hubs and unlabeled rims. I was offered $10, and they are brand new, true and round.

I enjoy building my bikes. I like picking out all the components i want, having all those boxes arrive, and putting it together. I believe it’s cheaper as well. I have not seen a bike store with a bike equipped as well as mine for a comparable price. I spent around $3500 building my Air9 with the best internet prices i could find at the time. When i go to Wrench Science and configure one selecting the parts i have or the equivalent, it comes out to far more. $1200 more actually.

I bought my Giant Trance frame on ebay for $325. I initially outfitted it with my existing fork and a cheap (heavy) wheelset. At that point I had $1,300 into it.I later got some Easton XC One wheels for $300 on sale, and a new take-off Fox F32 RL Remote, also for $300. I have $2,000 into it now, and it originally retailed for $3,600.

Went into my LBS one day with a whole list of upgrades I wanted to do for my bike (fork, wheels, handlebars, etc), but he took a look at my bike (which is not even 3 months old but very entry level) and said the cheapest way to get all of the better equipment on a bike would be to save up and get the better bike, versus dropping a bunch of bones on seperate parts. He said the manufacturers assemble the bikes cheaper than we can because they get their parts in bulk.

So, per that advice, don’t build, save and buy.

Thoughts?

Kentucky Roush 😎

My currant bike was custom built with the exact specs I wanted. It was light and did everything I wanted it to. Already had the running gear I wanted on the previous bike. Then I sold my old frame. I had a roomate working at the bikeshop and he built it so I got premo deals on the build. The bike was in storage for 10 years and I pulled it out replaced the tires and tubes and lubed the chain and went riding. It’s kinda fun to have someone talking about their new 30lb wonder steed and ask them to pick up my 21.7lb mountain bike. When I had it built weight was the most important thing. Disc’s were new at the time and V-brakes were lighter. Too bad a light bike doesn’t overcome a heavy old rider but it still works as designed. When I get a new bike it will be the best price on the best suspension and decent hardware in a 29er. I had to buy a cassette for my bike the otherday and went XT instead of XTR. The "new" me wasn’t paying twice the price for 25 grams less weight at the center of the wheel. It’s funny how times change is’nt it? 😄 Later,

Right now is a very volitile time in the frame industry, carbon is becoming the norm for a lot mtn bike manufactuers( I love my carbon nomad!). I would say that waiting through the summer, if you can, would be a good idea. I know specialized and scott both had hardtail 29ers w/ carbon frames weighing around 22-23 lbs for less than $3k in 2011, they may be even better in 2012.

"wbernest" wrote

Right now is a very volitile time in the frame industry, carbon is becoming the norm for a lot mtn bike manufactuers( I love my carbon nomad!). I would say that waiting through the summer, if you can, would be a good idea. I know specialized and scott both had hardtail 29ers w/ carbon frames weighing around 22-23 lbs for less than $3k in 2011, they may be even better in 2012.

But how long does carbon last? I’m weary about the tradeoff’s between lighter parts and endurance. Is it easier to break a carbon frame (sorry, I might be bouncing the topic here)?

I had a OCLV Trek 5300 and I beat it to death with no problems and this has 12 years ago. I had my Ti bike built to Trek geometry. Trek’s frames are indestructable IMHO. Some people have broken ’em but they would have destroyed a steel or aluminum frame also. A good carbon frame will last longer than you will. I would be on a carbon frame now if it had the "feel" of titanium. If you are fearfull of carbon fiber, go to an airshow and check out the F22 Raptor. 😄 Later,

"kyroush" wrote

But how long does carbon last? I’m weary about the tradeoff’s between lighter parts and endurance. Is it easier to break a carbon frame (sorry, I might be bouncing the topic here)?

If it can break carbon, it will bend or break aluminum and steel, and the metal frames made now are all about weight as well so you can’t really repair them. I was iffy at first, but after ive spent the past year on my carbon all mountain bike, I am a believer.

I guess I’ll keep vacillating over this until I fork out some cash. Man…….really tough decision. Maybe by the time I am ready to buy, Giant will use some actual paint or colors on the Anthem 29er. Any color would be sweet.

"maddslacker" wrote

You don’t like black and red?

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bik … 508/44089/

No, not really. I like all red or blue or yellow or orange or green. Don’t get me wrong, I’d ride it, just not my favorite color 😄

"tonkota" wrote

Any color would be sweet.

😼

Oh I see what you did there! 😆

HEHE

My (former) Giant Trance is white and looks really sharp. But I agree on the natural aluminum look, it just doesn’t quite work.

The white and blue Giant Anthem X 29er 3 looks good with the blue hubs. 😄 Later,

I believe you are looking for this:

http://www.lenzsport.com/mtb_main.php

Viewing 21 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.