Broken Spokes

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author

Wussup fellas?? Just got in from a ride….3 minutes in, i realized i had about 3-4 broken spokes, and a couple more loose!!! My wheel is out of true…i continued to ride for about 20 minutes though…is there a limit on something like this??? for example, the minute i noticed ONE spoke broke, should i have stopped riding?? the reason i did is because i didn’t wanna do further damage to my rim, then have to replace it!!!

Now my biggest worry is how i’m gonna get my bike to the bike shop before saturday without having to take time off from work!!!!

Hmm… Well if it were me, I’d stop riding the bike if I had realized there were broken spokes, 1 is one thing, but 3-4 is getting a little risque don’t ya think? But I’d stop riding if I found [color=blue:1vztglxq]ANYTHING[/color:1vztglxq] broken on my bike (just how I am) Always a good idea to give the bike a quick maintenance check before riding.

As for getting it to the shop, maybe bring it to work, then take it to the LBS during your lunch brake if it is close enough? Or perhaps have a friend/family member do you a favor and bring it in for you? Good luck however!

How old is your bike? How many miles? How hard do you ride?

Last year my rear wheel started popping spoke nipples on the order of 1-2 per ride. My shop said it was wheel fatigue, which made sense after about 2000 miles of hard riding (on that wheel). They said it would just keep hapenning, and since the rims wear with everything else just replacing all the nipples would result in a wheel that wouldn’t stay true.

I ended up buying a new wheelset.

Honestly, it’s probably my weight…i weigh about 320lbs….my big a$$ probably broke the wheel!! LOLOL

I’d be pretty careful about riding on a broken spoke. You might want tp think about carrying a foldable spoke with you in your bag when you ride. Get it replaced ASAP. It can put some serious stress on the rim and hub and you might have to end up replacing more than just a few spokes. Do you know when you blew it out? Most of the time a crash or a dropped chain will start the process and if you don’t figure out that you’ve messed up the spokes, you’ll start blowing them out pretty quickly. Since you’re a clydesdale it might be in your best interest to try a heavier duty wheel with a high spoke count (36 and up). It’ll take stresses from drops a lot better than a 28 or 32 spoke wheel. I definately wouldn’t ride it until you fix it or pay someone to do it for you.

Ohh i’m most definitely gonna try like crazy to get it to my bike shop in Buckhannon, WV tomorrow….the bike is still under warranty, so it should be free to fix….however, GOLDENGOOSE, thanks for the advice on the 36 count spoke wheels dude…i will most definitely ask my shop owner about them….until i get some more weight off, which is a big reason of why i’m biking again, i may go with that option if it will save me spokes in the long run…also, i have no idea where i broke them at….i had a real good ride friday night, for about an hour, on a simple rail trail, and i didn’t notice anything at all to be honest with you, so it’s hard to say where!!!

I have ridden my commuter on pavement with one broken spoke, and I *might* finish a trail ride with one missing spoke, but not three, that’s kinda asking for it.

I weigh 200 lbs, but I still went with WTB freeride rims for my XC bike, they’re a little heavier, but they are solid and I don’t have to worry about this type of issue. Jensen has them for $89 a pair with skewers. After the LBS fixes yours under warranty, if they pop again, look at heavier rims, either the 36 spoke ones that GoldenGoose mentioned or the freeride ones from Jensen.

Sorry,I just had to throw this in here cause it made me laugh as I was reading this thread and it just happened this week,yesterday as a matter of fact.My buddy just got an 09′ Trek EX8,and were over at his house drooling over the brand new bike,so I cant take it anymore and go for a ride on it,have you ever been right there when a 300plb clydesdale gets on a brand new bike with brand new wheels??hahahaha,just about every spoke on those rims settled in on the first revolution,hahahahah,pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop,I just thought this was funny enough to share with you guys.

You are kidding me????? LOLOLOLOLOL that is totally hysterical dude!!!! Ur friend had to be soooooooooooo pi$$ed!!!!! That ain’t even right man!!!!! LOLOLOLOL

"steve32300" wrote

pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop

I’ll bet you a bottle of Fat Tire that my WTB’s can handle your bad self…

Just remind me to lock out the rear shock 😆

You know it!!!

steve32300 wrote:
      pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop

I’ll bet you a bottle of Fat Tire that my WTB’s can handle your bad self…

Just remind me to lock out the rear shock

I dont drink but it’s a deal slacker,hahahahahahaaha,I’ll just have my usuall Root Beer,hahahahahaha.

That’s the same reason I had to sell my WTB wheels and go for the Mavic C29SSMAX wheels – my big fat arse was flexing the WTB’s way too much! It was much easier for me to throw some cash at the Mavics than to diet!!

230 and growing!

"steve32300" wrote

Sorry,I just had to throw this in here cause it made me laugh as I was reading this thread and it just happened this week,yesterday as a matter of fact.My buddy just got an 09′ Trek EX8,and were over at his house drooling over the brand new bike,so I cant take it anymore and go for a ride on it,have you ever been right there when a 300plb clydesdale gets on a brand new bike with brand new wheels??hahahaha,just about every spoke on those rims settled in on the first revolution,hahahahah,pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop,I just thought this was funny enough to share with you guys.

Hilarious Steve 😆 Probably your last test ride on his bike(s).hahahaha That mental picture is stuck in my head now.

Viewing 13 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.