Broken axle…

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

I’m pretty new to the whole mountain biking thing. Yesterday I bought a new tube to replace one with a hole in it and when I was getting ready to ride today I guess I torqued the thing too much. I was locking the quick release and using the fork as leverage when the thing snapped off. I think that long bolt that goes through the hub is the axle, right? The threads broke off in the little cylinder-shaped thing that connects it to the lever. Does anybody have an idea on how to remove the end of the axle from the cylinder or do I have to buy a new one? Also, how much do axles normally run? How do I avoid having this problem again?

You are in luck. That’s not your axle. It’s your quick release skewer. It is inserted through your axle which is hollow to accommodate the skewer. A new set would probably run you about $20. Normally they are sold in pairs (front and rear). It sounds like you probably just broke the clamping mechanism but I’m not sure that they just sell that part. In the future, use less torque. Just back the nut off a bit and then tighten the clamp down. You shouldn’t have to push super hard to get it closed. It should take some effort but not to the point that your hands are hurting.

As far as how to get it off without causing further damage…it’s hard to make a suggestion on that until I saw how it broke. Can you post a pic? I find that I can "fix" a lot of things with duct tape, vice grips and a hammer. But you probably won’t want to "fix" it that way. 😉 Good luck.

Yeah man, as GG stated above, you don’t need alot of force at all! In fact when taking off the wheels, the quick release and nut shouldn’t even to be completely taken apart, but that’s not necessarily a requirement so it’s preference.

Anyways, back to the amount of force you need, I’ve tried many different scenarios, I’ve found that when pushing the clamp back in (closed position) that by the time it’s tucked in all the way, it will just barely start leaving a mark on my hand, if that makes sense??? Maybe if you watch this quick vid, you’ll get a slightly better understanding to the whole quick release. Oh, and good luck bro. 😀

http://bicycletutor.com/remove-install-wheels/

As for cost, here’s a quick search on amazon for quick releases, but make sure you buy the right one of course.

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&rs=3403 … %3A3404731

I can’t seem to find out what size my front skewer is. I couldn’t find the info on Cannondale’s website and I wasn’t able to find it anywhere else. I want to order a new one as soon as possible. I tried to measure it but the only thing I have with centimeters on it is a multi tool and it isn’t accurate at all. Can someone help me out?

Actually, I’m pretty sure your front axle is 9mm in diameter by 100mm in length. It’s the standard for quick release front axles. Your rear will be 9mm in diameter by 135mm in length; standard for rear axles.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.