Broke my rear derailleur

Tagged: 

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section.

Today i broke my rear derailleur.. what had happen was… one of the links on my chain opened up and it caught the derailleur and twisted it around and yanked it off the frame.

my bike is a Gary Fisher Opie 24 it had a Shimano Acera derailleur.

any recommendations on a replacement? im willing to spend up too $100 or so for a new one.

Shimano XT is great. You can find one here for just under $100: http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/ … lleur.aspx

Or, you could get a lower model like LX, Deore, or SLX (all of which are better than Acera) for less $$.

thanks for replying…

what is the difference between short, mid and long cage ones?

I have an XT dérailleur on my commuter bike and I think it shifts better than the XTR on my mountain bike.

The cage length is related to the spread of gears you are spanning and therefore the length of the chain. Triple chainring bikes like mountain bikes typically need a long cage.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_ca-g.html#capacity

If it’s a hardtail you can probably use a mid cage I think.

don’t think there is a shimano [i:p0nfla4e]short [/i:p0nfla4e]left for mtb. medium or long.

just go with long on a stock triple. you can go here for the math: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=205890

The XT on Jenson is a good deal. Also look at the SLX Shadow, it’s a fine der as well. Just make sure to straighten/replace your hanger.

i took my bike to my local shop (not where i bought it) and there putting the same one back on the guy said that i cant upgrade it because all he can get are 9 and 10 gear derailleurs now..

for now thats ok, i just want a working bike again.. ill look at replacing it myself

grats. i love how we all assumed you to have a 9spd rear and there was even a pic for us to count the cogs! lmao. good times right here. 😆 yeah, Alivio, Acera and Altus are about all you are gonna find new.

My Gary Fisher hardtail came with a deore rear derailleur on an 8 speed. I know the Deore 591 is 8 speed compatible and a bit nicer than the Alivio, Altus or Acera.

Check it out-

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/ … lleur.aspx

Also if I’m not mistaken the derailleur is just a dumb component anyway. The shifters are what determine how much travel there is when shifting between gears. Eg. a 9 speed shifter will move the derailleur in smaller increments than an 8 speed shifter. I would think that any rear derailleur would work as long as you have the proper shifters. Someone with more experience can verify though.

is you bike 8 or 9 spd? if so i might be able to help you find the up grade that you’ll need.

"jboyd122" wrote

Also if I’m not mistaken the derailleur is just a dumb component anyway. The shifters are what determine how much travel there is when shifting between gears. Eg. a 9 speed shifter will move the derailleur in smaller increments than an 8 speed shifter. I would think that any rear derailleur would work as long as you have the proper shifters. Someone with more experience can verify though.

That is correct, 8spd or 9spd shifters must be matched to the corresponding derailleur.

Put another way, upgrading an 8spd derailleur to a 9spd requires a new shifter. (But the existing hub should support the 9spd cassette with no issues)

On a related note, sram and shimano shifters/derailleurs are not cross compatible.

"maddslacker" wrote

On a related note, sram and shimano shifters/derailleurs are not cross compatible.

The rear shifters/derailleurs are not compatible, but the front are. For 9spd. anyway, the new 10spd stuff I’m not sure about.

That is true, but mixing and matching to that degree is just annoying at best.

Viewing 12 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.