Bottom Bracket removal

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I recently picked up the last component that I needed to upgrade my drivetrain and was going to install it today. Everything came off fine until I got to the bottom bracket. It is a Shimano Deore LX crank that came stock on my bike that is two years old. The crank is a three piece. I removed both crank arms and that left the bottom bracket. I tossed the tool on and took the left (non-drive side) off no problem. I then came over to the drive side and attempted to remove it to no avail. It is reverse thread from what I understand. When it wouldn’t move, I called shimano and they told me to turn it counter clockwise even on the drive side. I then called Trek and they confirmed that it was reverse thread. I still can not get the bottom bracket off… I have used many different lubes (WD 40 etc.) to try and loosen it, but it is really on there. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated since I am off the bike until this is figured out.

Thanks!

To losen, clockwise on the drivetrain side, counterclockwise on the other

I assume there is a lot of dirt in it and it was probably mounted without anti seize. Try more WD-40, leave it alone overnight and try again

Thanks, I was finally able to get it off when I put an extension on the crescent wrench. The added leverage did the trick, but it sure was a pain in the ass.

"treky92" wrote

I recently picked up the last component that I needed to upgrade my drivetrain and was going to install it today. Everything came off fine until I got to the bottom bracket. It is a Shimano Deore LX crank that came stock on my bike that is two years old. The crank is a three piece. I removed both crank arms and that left the bottom bracket. I tossed the tool on and took the left (non-drive side) off no problem. I then came over to the drive side and attempted to remove it to no avail. It is reverse thread from what I understand. When it wouldn’t move, I called shimano and they told me to turn it counter clockwise even on the drive side. I then called Trek and they confirmed that it was reverse thread. I still can not get the bottom bracket off… I have used many different lubes (WD 40 etc.) to try and loosen it, but it is really on there. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated since I am off the bike until this is figured out.

Thanks!

You need some extra elbow grease. It would help if you didn’t weigh 95lbs soaking wet

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.