Bottom Bracket Issues

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Hello Everyone,

I have been recently riding more, well more frequent…

I have always been the bigger person, size-wise, I’m 6’2″, pushing 350 and dropping…I bought a Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29 (XXL) in June of 2016…love the bike. Now, my main issue and only issue with this bike is the bottom bracket…I’ve gone thru 2 already and had it recently upgraded to an external Shimano MTB…guess what, I need it overhauled already.

The shops main reason for this happening is, now according to them, my output power on the cranks when I ride. My crank-set was also upgraded to go with the bottom bracket (Shimano Deore), they feel great…but again, it’s still creaking, tick-ti-ti-tick sounding on uphills and just going up any incline…

She’s currently at the shop getting overhauled…

I have the same bottom bracket problem on all my bikes. Like you, it’s not even a creaking sound really–more like a tick or a click. It goes away as soon as I replace the bottom bracket, but the new one starts ticking within a month. I’m tall too, though not as heavy, but I do tend to put a lot of power due to keeping a low-ish cadence.

Exactly, that ticking / clicking sound that when it starts just takes the ride out of me…

I was suggested to have that replaced with a “full roller or rolling bracket”…ever heard of that?

Try a Hope stainless steel BB. Pricey, but nice and smooth.

Try ear plugs! My bike always makes noise and it drives me nuts as well.  Really trying to just ignore it and enjoy the ride.  We beat the hell out of our bikes, it’s amazing they don’t fail more often!

Is your BB PF30? If so there are ‘threaded’ PF30 BB on the market you might want to consider. I go through atleast 1, usually 2 BB rebuilds or replacemets every year. After the last rebuild the mech at my LBS said I might want to try a threaded PF30 to see if it will last any longer.

BB started making crunchy creaking sounds again on my last ride so I’ll be trying out a threaded PF30 BB real soon.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.