Blue Mountain, Ontario Reaches Settlement in Lawsuit

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      TORONTO, May 28, 2014 /CNW/ – Blue Mountain recently reached a settlement with Ian McAdam, who, at the age of 13, was rendered a quadriplegic when downhill mountain biking at its resort in 2007. After years of protracted litigation, the parties reached a settlement after a series of trial motions but before the first witness took the stand. Though Ian and his family cannot disclose or communicate any terms of the settlement, the negotiations, or the amounts settled upon, they are pleased with the result.
      The lawsuit that was issued with the Court against Blue Mountain claimed $21 million by Patrick Brown and co-counsel, Kate Mazzucco. In the claim it was alleged that Blue Mountain failed to have the proper safety measures in place to assess and monitor young people, like Ian, coming to the hill. Following Ian’s injuries, Blue Mountain implemented new safeguards to assess the skill level of people under the age of 16, removed certain jumps, and required additional equipment to be worn by riders. A mandatory video for parents was also created.

Brown said, "It is nice to see change happening to ensure fewer young people, like Ian, are not seriously hurt while enjoying this active sport." He went on to state, "It is very important for all facilities running extreme sports to take additional precautions when it comes to children. It is simply not enough to leave it open and rely on waivers and signage. We know from the experts that kids often have an unrealistic understanding of their skill level. At times, they take risk well beyond their capabilities. They at times make bad decisions. Additional protections must be in place."

Parents should not assume that these facilities are regulated because in most cases they are not. There are virtually no standards set by the government that must be followed nor are they required to report the number of children getting injured. As Ian’s father, Gary McAdam, stated, "It is very scary to think that we have a wealth of standards and regulations to protect adults in their privately run work places, but nothing when it comes to private facilities running profitable extreme sports facilities for kids."

Read more here: http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1362903 … ain-biking

Now why should a DH MTB resort have to remove jumps and features that are enjoyed by other patrons because some kid gets injured? Don’t get me wrong. I feel bad for the kid, but DH MTB is CLEARLY a dangerous sport. It should be up to the parents to say, "No, Billy. This is too dangerous for you at your level."

That’s why I have to sign all those releases of liability at the local resort… Feel sorry for the kid, but at what point are do his parents assume some of the responsibility? Should there be (or is there already?) some age limit where a minor has to ride with a parent or adult? This brings up a lot of questions…

I dunno about a particular age limit since there are some pretty impressive kids out there. But I would think that there should be a stronger liability waiver in favor of the resort and that the parents should have their signature on it as well.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.