bloody knuckles

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

So I bought some new clipless pedals yesterday (frogs) and I was all excited about putting them on and going for a quick ride today. I got home, found my wrench, and began unscrewing my piece of crap SPD’s. However, the right pedal just wasn’t moving. So I decided to put some weight behind the wrench and my hand slipped and I hit the teeth…..

Blood is flying everywhere. I’m trying to find a rag and keep my dog from licking the blood on the floor (maybe that’s where the name bloodhound came from). After about 10 minutes, the bleeding finally stopped.

Lession learned? Where leather gloves if you are ever changing out your pedals. What really sucked, by the time I had the pedals on, it got dark. Dang it!!!! However, after riding in the street, the frogs are the way to go!

Ouch! I’ve definitely banged up my knuckles and drawn some blood changing pedals, though probably not nearly that bad.

Once I had a pedal that was super stuck (stripped threads) and I took it to my LBS to see if they could get it to budge. The kid behind the counter said he’d do it real quick for free and the same thing happened – blood everywhere. I gave him a big tip and felt bad the rest of the day.

Moral of the story is they really should put warnings on those things 😀 Seriously though, another good tip is to add some leverage to your tool for a stuck pedal. I like to place my wrench handle inside a 3 foot section of pipe which does two things: increases leverage AND keeps my hands out of harm’s way.

ive done that once too, but i learned my lesson and now i make sure that when im changing a pedal which ever way im turning the wrench that im moving away from the chainring teeth so if i slip my knuckles wont hit the teeth and cause a bloody mess

Makes me feel grateful for my pedal wrench which i built with a offset. Not only do I have tons of leverage, but it makes it pretty impossible to slam my knuckles.

OUCH!!! I feel the pain just reading this

Ouch! That sounds painful man. I feel for ya.

It actually happened so fast, that I didn’t feel a thing. Now the next day was a different story. But it’s so cool to go to work the next day and explain my war story….

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.