Blankets Creek – South Loop reroute

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

On the South Loop, the Breezy Hill section with the washed out switch back has been rerouted. I read about it on Sorba but haven’t been over there yet. If the rain holds off I will be over there this evening and we’ll see what it’s like. If I can remember, I’ll carry a camera.

No pictures yet, but the reroutes are SWEET! They took out a 20 ft section and replaced it with about 200 yards or twisty, tight, lovely singletrack with a few log crossings, roots and rocks. VERY nice.

Also, the washed out switchback up to Breazy Hill has been redone. It’s still a lung-burner climb, but is much more manageable. Again, VERY nice.

One other thing the SORBA work party fixed was the section right before the little rock step-up that is at the start of the steep section to the Breezy Hill switchbacks.

This used to be a loose rooty/rocky/washed-out section with rocks that were angled in such a way that it was difficult to get any traction or leverage. It was also hard to come into that section with good speed because of the rocks/roots just before. They smooth this section out a bit and made it easier. Some folks will probably bitch that they sterilized it.

I’m still undecided. They definitely made it much more manageable from a trail maintenance standpoint, but they took out one of the challenges that keep me looking forward to riding that trail. This section was one of those that I would start thinking about the closer I got to it. I’d start planning my gear selection, making sure my head was in the game and trying to visualize the line I’d take to try and clean that section. I’d made it a few times, failed a few times, walked it a few times, but it always kept me excited. I’ll miss that.

Same with the original Breezy Hill switchback. It was murderous and ugly and very hard, but it was a challenge that I looked forward to trying every time. I never cleaned it, and now will never get the chance. At first I thought, "Good, take out that nightmare section that kicks my butt every time", but now, I kinda miss it. 😢

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.