Biking back to back to back days

Forums Mountain Bike Forum Biking back to back to back days

Tagged: ,

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author

I posted a while back that I was going to be training to compete in the Lumberjack 100, but since that post I was unable to register for the event. Due to this, I came up with the crazy idea to try and ride all of Indiana’s trails in the one week I have between the end of school and work starting. It is 320 miles of trail and 1100 miles of driving for me. The biggest concern I have is biking so many miles every day with very little time for recovery. Has anyone done anything like this or have any tips for fast recovery for the muscles?

That’s just sick… I will pay you if you’re actually successful and can provide proof of accomplishment.

I did 100 mountain miles in a week on one of my vacations, plus I threw in a 45 mile road ride. I just rode local trails but it was a different trail each time. I didn’t do anything out of the ordinary, just drank good dark beer at the end of the night and focused. No focus on beating record times, just riding. I get crazy ideas like this whenever I take time off too. I am curious of a report on Indiana trails as I was considering moving to Indy for work in the possible future. Good luck!!!

If you’re doing it in 1 week, I’d say train your butt off beforehand by riding every day so you’re ready for it, and then when the week comes maybe treat it like a bell curve: shorter rides at the beginning and end and longer efforts in the middle. Also, are we talking about a short 5-day week or a long 9-10 day week? (or just standard 7 😆 ) If you have enough time, you might consider a rest day or two mixed in.

It will be a 7 day week. I am going to try to use the bell curve approach. I have been trying to train up to it and get some more saddle time. All in all, if I don’t get all of the trails done it won’t be the end of the world, it will be a nice break from life either way.

That’s pretty ambitious – I like it! I rode 29 trails in 29 days last year and only did about 300 miles over the entire month. Due to weather I missed several days in the beginning so some weeks I was riding every day which wasn’t too bad. Hopefully it’ll be a dry week for you – no rain!

The next closest thing I’ve done is a 7 day, 220 mile ride from Durango to Moab. There was no driving involved which gave us plenty of trail time but even then we spent most of the day riding.

I didn’t train for either of these rides but kinda wished I had (especially the Durango to Moab trip). Greg’s advice is good though – leave your big mile days for the middle of the week so the earlier rides get you in shape. You’ll feel tired every morning but after an hour or two in the saddle you’ll forget all about it.

Or you can just skip sleep and ride like this:
      http://www.topofusion.com/diary/2012/04/23/azt-300-itt/

I may give Rhode Island a go at something like this. :-)

I rode every day for eight straight says while on vacation but it was nowhere an average of 45 miles each day.

Good luck!

Best of luck Treky92. That is pretty ambitious; take some pics and let us know how it all goes.

I have gotten to where I ride like I ski, 2 days on and the 3rd day off. 😃

It’s a great idea. Wish you success. It’s gonna be tough, especially with all that driving involved.

Yeah. Since the original post, I have found a buddy who will be coming with me too, so that will increase the fun factor. I have it all planned out so I am not riding more than 65 miles in a day and those two days in the middle. The driving will be somewhat of a break for the back and muscles as long as I don’t cramp up.

I am sure by the end of it I will not want to see cliff bars or energy gels for a while 😃

"treky92" wrote

Has anyone done anything like this or have any tips for fast recovery for the muscles?

I’ve never done anything like this, so I probably shouldn’t be giving advice. But since no one else is giving it … If you can have someone meet you at your campsites, make sure that person brings eggs for muscle recovery and some form of starchy food—potatoes, bananas, peas, beans (black and pinto), etc.—for energy. Chocolate and cheese are both great high-energy foods and should be included as well. Eat the cheese after/during the ride and the chocolate before/during, and lean toward dark chocolate rather than Snickers bars.

The thing is, you can replenish glycogen stores to some degree, but it’s going to be difficult to repair muscle damage with back-to-back riding. Try to keep the intensity down early on so things don’t get too catabolic. Have beef jerky with you and munch on it throughout your rides—keeping your protein needs satisfied should make a big difference.

And give yourself plenty of time to wind down before you turn in for the night so you get a good night’s rest. That’s all I’ve got. Best of luck! Make sure to share a ride report somewhere so we can see it, eh?

Edit: If you don’t want to bring a bunch of melted chocolate bars with you, GU makes a dark chocolate energy gel with thick Belgian chocolate in it. I’m a little more partial to the mint chocolate version, but that’s my preference.

"Sackattack" wrote

Eat the cheese after/during the ride

Cheese during a ride? That’s a new one to me. I suppose nutritionally it might make sense but…

Wow, I road 5 days last week, mostly single track, and just felt beat up. Oh, I was beat up, scuffed bruised and sprained. So don’t crash first. 😀 Try some Stinger Honey waffles, to mix in with the cliff bars. Might want some good Potassium stuff like bananas and potato skin. Good luck with that, Cheers

"Sackattack" wrote

And give yourself plenty of time to wind down before you turn in for the night so you get a good night’s rest.

To piggy-back off that statement: I found that using a foam roller after the workout/ride helped a lot too. It can be downright painful at times, but it’s great at getting the knots out!

This was a while ago. Did you complete your mission?

Viewing 15 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.