bike shorts…uh,anything go between them and your skin?

Forums Mountain Bike Forum bike shorts…uh,anything go between them and your skin?

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

I think I pretty much got the whole question in the title but I just bought a pair of nice baggy shorts for riding and they have the whole pad and liner and I wondered if I was supposed to wear anything else with them or if they just go on over bare skin?

LOL, just had a talk about this on our local forum.

No underwear. Just the liner, then the outter. For lycra shorts, again, no underwear. You want to liner/shorts to fit to you like a second skin. If you wear underwear it’ll bunch up and cause pressure points and chaffing.

Thanks for the fresh info man! 😃

I’m gonna go suit up and see how it feels,haha.

Ok,those shorts are horrible! The padding was nice but all the constricting and restricting liner material to keep it in place just doesn’t jive with me.They were a pair of Canari Canyon shorts from Sports Authority for $50 so I bet there are nicer options out there…I just don’t think I want anything with a liner like that.

lol. I have a pair of shorts with a chamois from Primal. i wear undies too and they are very comfortable. but i dont have to worry about what you guys worry about ;) 😮

"GALAXY" wrote

Ok,those shorts are horrible! The padding was nice but all the constricting and restricting liner material to keep it in place just doesn’t jive with me.They were a pair of Canari Canyon shorts from Sports Authority for $50 so I bet there are nicer options out there…I just don’t think I want anything with a liner like that.

As long as you bought the right size, you should be fine. It’s like any other sport where you would have to wear spandex for support, only bike shorts are beefier with a big pad.

Personally, I prefer to buy separate liners (such as the Sugoi PrestaLiner) and then buy unlined baggy shorts (such as the Kona Airtime, or the Azonic Generators). That way you can customize the fit a little better than a short with a built in liner ( I have a pair of Fox Ranger’s with the built in liner. The waist size/length is correct, but the liner feels awkward and doesn’t work so well). Just my nickel.

The "support" provided by the liner is HUGELY important for me. It keeps the bits and pieces tucked up out of harms way.

Ever squish your berries between your leg and seat? OOOOOOOOUUUUUUCH!

That doesn’t happen with cycling shorts.

BUT – I will say some shorts provide more space than others, so try another pair. I had a pair of Adidas shorts that were aweful. There was zero space in the ‘forward compartment’ lol.

"8valvegrowl" wrote

Personally, I prefer to buy separate liners (such as the Sugoi PrestaLiner) and then buy unlined baggy shorts (such as the Kona Airtime, or the Azonic Generators). That way you can customize the fit a little better than a short with a built in liner ( I have a pair of Fox Ranger’s with the built in liner. The waist size/length is correct, but the liner feels awkward and doesn’t work so well). Just my nickel.

I have a pair of Fox Rangers and know what you mean. I wear them, but it takes some adjusting to get them to feel comfortable. I recently bought a pair of Novara from REI. They have an attached chamois like the Rangers. I will say they feel awkward and uncomfortable when not riding, but when riding I forget I have them on, and I guess that is most important. My only other pair are from Jett, and they have a removable chamois. These are probably the most comfortable all around for me. It may be that the removable chamois allows it to fit more naturally, kind of like wearing a separate liner and unlined baggies.

galaxy – I struggled with various options for quite some time then decided to ride in roadie bib shorts with any manner of baggies over the tops (wouldn’t want to be mistaken for a roadie 😳 ) — very comfortable combination — heck, on long (distance or time) rides, use the chamois cream to reduce /eliminate friction – first try is a shocker (cold) but heck, nobody can tell and comfort is paramount. Watching the pro’s battle it out for many hours made me realize they have to know about comfort in the tender regions 😄

And nobody will ever know 😃
      flowak

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.