bike shoes

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

Well I broke down and bought a pair mountain bike shoes. Now I am trying to figure out where to postion the cleat on the shoe. Advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have always started pretty close to the middle and adjusted it if needed from there. It is based on feel as long as the cleats engage and release from the pedal.

It is based on feel

Sorry, no, it isn’t. For the best control, pedaling efficiency, and to line up with how your anatomy transfers power, the cleat should be directly under the ball of your foot.

From witnessed experience, not myself personally, make sure that your seat height is correct as well. A buddy of mine normally rode with his seat a little low and after a day on the trail with his seat not high enough and new clipless pedals – bad knee, very bad knee. Just my $0.02.

For more information on bike fit, check out the most popular article on Singletracks.com: http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-tr … ike-a-pro/

If you purchased the shoes from your LBS, ask the guys there if they will do a basic fit for you, some shops have trained fitters. When I bought shoes and peddles from my LBS for my road bike, they gave me a basic fit for free. If you want to spend some cash they do different level of fits from the basic to the 3 hour plus fittings. For me the basic fit made a huge difference on my road bike, the one thing that made the biggest difference was my saddle width. Off topic I know….

"mtbgreg1" wrote
      It is based on feel

Sorry, no, it isn’t. For the best control, pedaling efficiency, and to line up with how your anatomy transfers power, the cleat should be directly under the ball of your foot.

Guess I need to take a look at my shoes now…

Gotta agree with the ball of your foot, mine were forward of the ball when i first installed, them it was uncomfortable and issues on clipping in, a little reading and a few adjustments made a HUGE improvement

Forward and back comes down to power transfer, therefore you want it under the ball of your foot.

Left to right is a matter of comfort and feel.

Also, if the shoes are too big, it will be very difficult to get the cleat placed properly.

I always have put the cleat all the way up to the front in the past. On the Colorado Trail I started to get pain in my Achilles, my pain increased every single day I road. I ended up talking to my physical Therapist about it and he told me to move the cleat back has he mentioned that having the cleat all the way up front bends tendons that you don’t use in a pedal. I ended up moving the cleat back and it’s been very helpful with alleviating the pain in my Achilles. my .02

flats

you can thank me later

😀

If this is the first time using clipless, then positioning of the cleats are the least of your concerns right now. (lol) Clip in, ride a lot, then adjust according to your personal preference. No secrets here.

I agree with everyone on the ball of your feet being the right place for your cleat. Once you get that set up, take a little bit of time to make sure your seat is adjusted properly forward or back. This becomes more important when clipped into your pedals. It seems like everything really starts working together or against each other at this point!

Viewing 12 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.