bike repair suggestions

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Following up on my previous thread, either looking to get a new mt bike or repair my 2001 Cannondale F600.  Basically the head shock is shot and the cassette needs to be replaced.  I’m wondering what a ballpark of what this will cost to fix.  The shop I went into yesterday told me it would cost a fortune to do all the replacement and I should get a new bike.  I didn’t get into estimates but I’m assuming he’s saying 500-1000 dollars to repair.  The shop I went to was obviously more interested in selling me a new bike.  Just wondering what shop around town(Atlanta metro)will do good work at an honest price.  Thanks in advance.

Sounds like a new bike would be better.

I can’t say for sure, but the shop may be looking after your best interest in selling you a new bike. If you couple the cost of parts with shop time, the repairs you are talking about will be expensive. At the end of those repairs you still will have an old bike. If the cassette is worn, it is likely the chain and crank are worn too. Shocks are expensive as well. Changing those parts out is time consuming, so shop time will add up quick. Add to that the fact new bikes are much better (geometry, materials, technology), that guy at the shop may be trying to steer you right.

If the math is less important than the sentimental value (or you just don’t like throwing things away) repair it yourself. DIY will improve the value proposition of keeping the bike tremendously. It is not hard, YouTube can show you how.

Mountain bikes have come a long way since 2001. That could be why your repair estimates are so high. It’s  difficult if not damn near impossible, even for shops, to get old school parts. I think a new bike would be better. You’ll be able to get upgraded/replacement parts easily and for far less than retro ones. You’ll be left with a better bike and will get more out of the sport.

500-1000$ is insane. Run away from that shop. If you are attached to the bike and want to spend the least possible, get a decent used fork (should be less then 200) and take it to a better shop to fix your drivetrain. If it’s all old 8spd and shot, you could easily get a 9spd setup for under 150 (that’s cassette, derailleur, shifter and chain). I realize that even with you doing the work you could be close to that 500 mark but that’s with new parts. I guarantee that shop would put the least amount of product and effort into a bike that old and still charge the crap out of you.

I asked the same question you did recently… replace worn parts or buy a new bike?  It is true that bikes have changed in the last few years… some good changes, some insignificant.  Every situation is different, but I decided to go the replace and repair route.  I have a 2003 Gary Fisher Sugar 3+ with 1,000’s of hard miles on it (bought it new).  Love the rear suspension geometry on it, and it climbs like no other bike I’ve had the pleasure of riding (there have been many).  I went through a refresh… RockShox front fork, Fox rear shock, RaceFace Team chain rings, XT BB, Mavic wheel set, XT disks and calipers, XT cassette, XT shifters, and so on.  Derailleurs are XT.  Still under $2k so far.  Honestly, to replace it with something new with the same ride ability and level of hardware would run me $4k-$6k, depending on brand.  And I get to keep my 3×9 drive, which I personally prefer to 2x’s and 1x’s.  And yes, I do prefer the nimbleness of 26″ over 27.5’s and 29’s.

Anyway, just my experience and opinion, and like I said, every situation is different.  Long story short, if you like your frame and its geometry, and it isn’t bent or cracked… I would consider replace, repair and upgrade it.

Thanks.  I will get some more estimates from other bike shops.  I like the geometry and Cannondale F600 is a great frame, but if the repair cost are over 500 it seems like my best bet is to cut bait.  I’ve done some researching on replacing/upgrading Cannondale components and they are pretty notorious about being proprietary and the head shock is usually getting bad reviews.

Loose Nuts Cycles in Grant Park will tell you what’s up.

The Headshok was terrible new and they don’t get better with age.

@AaronChamberlain: “Loose Nuts Cycles in Grant Park will tell you what’s up. The Headshok was terrible new and they don’t get better with age.”

Mr C is on point here. The cassette is cheap to replace. However, Headshok’s sucked (Leftys too unless you’re an XC kook that actually doesn’t really want suspension, but are too cheap to buy a nice rigid carbon job so instead you crank the compression lock out all the way up, but I digress…). The fork should be tossed and replaced. Hell, you might be able to put a rigid steel one on that would clear a plus or large front tire and have better “suspension” than the Headshok could have ever even dreamed of.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.