Bike racks for truck beds

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

I am looking to get a bike rack for the bed of my truck. I know I dont want to be drilling holes in my bed so that narrows my selection down quickly. I have seen models by saris and thule that are expandable either by a hydraulic pump or slide and cam locking systems. I have heard of people putting fork mounts on pieces of wood as well. I looked for a rack that would slide in the rail wholes on the side of my bed and go across the front that I could use fork mounts on. Do you know any like these? I will be going on long trips with the bike and dont want to have any worry about my bike as I am going down the interstate or on a back road. Any suggestions or personal knowledge?

Some of the stuff in this thread may be of use to you.

[url:21n6ojiy]http://forums.singletracks.com/viewtopic.php?t=3078[/url:21n6ojiy]

I just ordered the Topline 2 bike truck bed carrier, as well as the 2 bike extension (making it a 4 bike carrier if needed) should be in Wed, I’ll let you know how it does. Clamps to bed rails, easy on/off it looks like. No drilling, just attach and go. Hope it works as good as they claim, as there aren’t a lot of other options out there, unless you take the front tire off each time. Not what I wanted to do….so, we’ll see….

Ok, I got in my Topline bed bike rack. I think I like it, but it’s not perfect-Bascially you put a clamp on the bed rail, that has a bar that goes to the first bike, and clamps it in-Then you use a short bar with clamps between the first bike and the next bike, and so on. It’s simple, easy to hook up, and on a short trip everything rode just fine. We’re going to use it mostly when towing the trailer, and can’t use our hitch bike rack. The downside is, it was NOT meant for mountain bikes apparently-The clamps that are supposed to hook to the frames are too small for our aluminum bike frames. We ended up hooking to the seat posts-It works, but not what I envisioned. It’s fairly cheap though, and works as advertised, so all in all I’m happy for the 6-8 times a year we may use it on camping trips.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.