Bike Rack Mustang 08

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Hey guys, I am in search of a bike rack that can fit to my 08 mustang. It’s a soft top so over the top of the car is not possible. I would like it to hold 2 bikes one of them is a 29er don’t know if that matters. But I am going for cheap yet efficient. Any recommendations? Thanks.

Looking for a good solution that is cheap to a rack system on a convertible is pretty much a pipe dream. You could of course install a Reese hitch on the car and put any rack you’d like on it, but that’s not cheap.

If you’ve got the space necessary at the trunk, maybe some Seasucker mounts.

I’d advise against the strap racks that are sold in box stores. The racks I’m talking about are those you place hooks around the perimeter of your trunk then tighten down the straps to hold a rack against your car. Not only did it allow the bikes so close to the car that we totaled the paint on my wife’s car but they move A LOT as the straps loosen. I quickly decided my bikes were too valuable to me to risk dumping them in the road while driving.

No offense, but a Mustang convertible isn’t an ideal bike hauling vehicle. With that being said a hitch may be a good option. If you decide to go that route Allen has some great hitch racks at a low price. I run a 3 bike hitch rack from them on my Jeep. Here is a two bike version though http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Sports-Delu … +bike+rack with a mustang you have to be careful not to put to much weight on the hitch as well or you could be dragging the rear bumper in a hurry.

Yea, I mean I realize it’s not ideal. But it will have to work for now. My only other option is to not. Cycle, and I don’t think anyone would suggest that. I have been putting the top down and using my back seat because why not lol

i used to have a 1999 mustang and used one of the trunk mount ones from walmart, i had to take my front wheel off because it put my bike at a steep angle. it wasn’t ideal, but it worked and was secure. i used it for about a year. i took it off after each time of using it. i no longer have that car anymore though.

I had a hard-top 2004 Mustang, so it was the same gen as yours. There aren’t a whole lot of good options, especially if you also have a spoiler. The ones that just temporarily fasten to your trunk can end up doing some damage to the spoiler if you’re not careful, as well as scratch some of your paint where the hooks are too. The car already sits low as it is and mine scraped over speed bumps. My choice was to end up riding my mtb on the streets around my house (def not really fun or ideal). The recommendation of getting a hitch put on is probably the best option in my opinion. There are some decent ones to be found on ebay or even going to UHaul and having one of theirs put on (yes you can buy it from them). After that, just get a hitch-mount bike rack and you’re all set. Fortunately I now have a 2011 Impreza hatchback, which I’m throwing my bike inside of- for now. I’m going to get a hitch for it soon, though.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.