Bike event promotes legal trail access at China Camp (Marin)

Singletracks Mountain Bike News, Reviews, MTB Trails and Community Protected: Forums Mountain Bike Forum Bike event promotes legal trail access at China Camp (Marin)

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Days after a dedicated nonprofit took over operations at China Camp State Park in San Rafael, more than 300 mountain bikers descended on the park’s Miwok Meadows for a day of bikes, beer and bicycle advocacy.

The all-day event on Sunday, Aug. 12, featured guided rides for cyclists of all skill levels, demonstrations of the latest rigs from Marin Bikes and other manufacturers, a chef-prepared gourmet barbecue and beer sampling from six local breweries.

The Ales and Trails fundraiser benefitted the International Mountain Bicycling Association of California,” Tom Ward, policy advisor for the biking group, told the crowd. “Today is a day for the mountain biking community to get together with their families and celebrate their sport.”

The International Mountain Bicycling Association started in 1988 in Berkeley and now has chapters in all 50 states and in countries around the world.

“We advocate for sustainable trails and for trail access,” said event organizer Nat Lopes. “For Marin County, the 680 trail has been a major accomplishment. The Stafford Lake bike park is another amazing project, and both of those were products of bicycle advocacy.”

“We’re all a bunch of people who really enjoy the outdoors,” said Marin County bicycle advocate Christina Toms through a small loudspeaker. “That’s why we ride mountain bikes, because we love being in the woods.”

Toms urged those in attendance to get involved with environmental issues by going to public meetings, reading newspapers and writing letters. “I encourage you to demonstrate to all the naysayers in Marin County, that we are mountain bikers and we are environmentalists. We are part of the solution, not part of the problem.”

The Friends of China Camp, a nonprofit organization, recently entered an agreement to operate the park in order to prevent a possible shutdown due to state park budget shortfalls. “We hope to not only keep it open, but make it better,” said FOCC founding member Steve Deering.

According to Deering, many hikers and cyclists who use the park pay no fees. Currently, fees are only collected in certain day-use areas, such as picnic areas and park features with off-street parking. Drivers who park alongside the road are not required to display permits. “In order for our plan to be viable, we have to raise revenue, “ he said. The organization is planning to install electronic pay stations at various locations where park-goers can purchase daily use permits for $2 per day for hikers and $3 for cyclists. “We’re trying to keep this affordable,” Deering said. “But we want everyone who uses the park to help out a little.”

Read the rest of the article here: http://marinscope.com/articles/2012/08/ … 828981.txt

With the funding cuts being brought to bear on the State Park system in California coupled with the ironic anti-mountain bike culture of Marin County, it is great to hear that people and riders are stepping up to keep the park open, and to keep mountain biking a part of it.

Wait, IMBA started in Berkeley? I didn’t know that. Wonder why they moved to Colorado, seems like CA is an important place to have a presence…

"jeff" wrote

Wait, IMBA started in Berkeley? I didn’t know that. Wonder why they moved to Colorado, seems like CA is an important place to have a presence…

I thought that was an interesting tid bit of information too. I wonder if they still have a big chapter in Berkeley or not?

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.