Best way to protect frame from chain slap

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author

I have some paint and graphics worn off from chain slap I need to sand and paint the area but do they make good chain protectors or should I just wrap a tube around the frame like most people do is there any material that would damage the chain?

You can buy ultra-cheap chain guards on ebay that wrap around the chainstay and fasten via Velcro. I have one on my Yukon but on my other bike, I just wrapped a piece of tube and fastened it with some zip ties. Both do the job just fine.

Thanks

Go the hardware store and ask for rubber mastic or insulated electrical tape, that’s the ticket.

[url:14urexit]http://www.homedepot.com/p/Scotch-1-in-x-10-ft-2228-Rubber-Mastic-Electrical-Tape-50727-BA-5/202195402#.UgeO041lT8c[/url:14urexit]

Best of all go support your LBS and spend $10 on a chainstay protector along these lines. (I prefer the velcroed neoprene.)

http://shop.lizardskins.com/collections … -chainstay

http://shop.lizardskins.com/collections … ctor-jumbo

I use an old piece of garden hose and a few zip-ties. Works great. After awhile lizardskins and even tubes can get tore up. I can use the same section of garden hose the entire season.

If you are one of those "crazy gram counting people," lizardskins makes a carbon fiber protector that works well.

Lizard skins all the way. Second season on both of mine.

Spend the $10 on Lizardskin chainstay protector. If your bike is a junker, you don’t care what the chainstay looks like so I assume you care about the appearance of the frame. Lizardskins have a tough fabric cover over something cushiony plus velcro the whole length – it never moves. If I could just find something as good to protect the rest of the bike from those jumping rocks!

I use an old tube wrapped around and taped on the ends. Had the same one for 2+yrs now.

"dgaddis" wrote

I use an old tube wrapped around and taped on the ends. Had the same one for 2+yrs now.

I do this, but zip tie it instead of the tape.

I did the same thing tube wrapped with zip ties on a low budget and bike is well broken in maybe get skins when I can one day get a new bike

"rade8u2" wrote

Lizard skins all the way. Second season on both of mine.

+1 on Lizard Skins!! Just make sure that you get the correct sized one. I bought the "Lizard Skins Super Jumbo Chainstay Protector". Perfect fit on my MTB… @ $8.10 on Amazon, you can’t go wrong for that price.

Have used both Lizard skins and a tube, and find an old tube to be the cheapest and best option. Lizard skins look great until they get torn up. Tubes seem to be more hard wearing.

Yep I touched up the paint and wrapped a tube with zip ties works great

Picked it up for $10 at Lowes yesterday. Goinng ot find out how well it works today. I didn’t really care for the lizard skin too much.

^ Best stuff right there!

Looks like they changed the name. It used to be called Rubber Mastic Tape

Viewing 15 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.