Best upgrade so far…..

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Picked up my first real bike in September. A 2016 Trek X Caliber 9 29er. I swore, due to having a kid in college, I would do no upgrades unless I broke something. Boom, on Monday I had a flat up front that wouldn’t hold air. I am a total novice so take the following for what it’s worth….went to my local shop and was told a thorn had punctured the tire and tube. The guys knew I hated the stock Bontrager tires, so they asked if I wanted to upgrade. It was broke, so hell yes I did. I have been struggling like mad with stability, so I went with a Maxxis Minion 2.3. Got it home and it looked silly on the front with the stock tire on the rear. Boom,   matching Minion on the rear. I set them up tubeless  and hit the trail today. Best ride ever! Smoked through stuff I used to walk down. Any new guys out there who feel wobbly, upgrade your stock tires. The difference is unbelievable.

Nice! How wide are the Bontragers you replaced? For me, wider is always better. Heck, riding a fat bike is like cheating, it rolls over everything so easily.

I went from a 2.0 rear and 2.2 up front to 2.35’s all the way around. Found myself wanting to make monster truck noises when I rolled over stuff.

Nice! Putting on a good set of tires is just about the quickest upgrade you can make.

Nice, glad you had such great success upgrading your tires! This is exactly why I put new tires as #1 on my list of 10 Upgrades for Less Than $100 That Will Radically Improve Your Mountain Bike’s Performance

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.