Best Singlespeed Mountain Bike of 2011

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

According to arecent article by Bicycling magazine, the best singlespeed mountain bike of 2011 was the Specialized Stumpjumper 29 SS. Runner ups were the Vassago Jabberwocky, Spot Rocker, and Moots MootoX RSL.

The Stumpjumper seems like a bit of an odd choice to me with the number of smaller companies dedicated to hardtail 29ers that make singlespeed-specific frames. What bike do you think deserves to be the best Singlespeed of 2011?

Any idea how they chose the four "finalists"?

And a bit of an off-topic question, but how does a lower BB allow you to bunnyhop easier?
      Regarding the Spot Rocker, they said, "a relatively low bottom bracket made it easy to bunny hop deadfall and at 23.2 pounds, the bike was light enough to race, or enjoy on daylong rides."
      Is that just because a lower BB equals a lower center of gravity so you get more "pop" some how?

No, I have no idea how they decided on those 4, actually.

I think the lower center of gravity could definitely help with bunny hopping… I think it’d make it easier to get the front end up. Although on a single speed 29er, I’m not really sure how big of an issue bunnyhopping really is… I’d personally almost rather have a standard height BB for maximum clearance over logs and rocks.

Although I was riding behind the owner of my LBS the other day, and he was flying down the trail and just bunnyhopped his hardtail 29er smoothly straight over a 12" log without breaking stride. I had to hit the breaks and ride over it like normal… the smoothness and confidence was just awe-inspiring!

I don’t put too much merit in anything MTB related coming from Bicycling Magazine. I went to the Jabberwocky page ’cause I own one and was wondering what they had to say. This jumped out at me:

However, a 72-degree head tube angle added some quickness to the steering

The Jabber actually has a 71-degree head tube angle and is generally not considered a fast steering bike. That’s the whole point of the Wet-Cat Geometry – long, low, slack.

I wonder if they even rode any of these bikes? They’re using images pulled from the websites of each company for all of them except the Moots.

I am riding a 29er with a 72° head angle and there is no mistaking the way it handles.

This sounds like drive-by reporting to me…

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.