Best Place to stay for Moab riding

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Hello folks I am back again this year planning my next trip.

This year I am planning to Ride Moab. Where are some great places to stay around the area?

Your help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Leroy

What do you like? Motels? B&Bs? RV campgrounds? Developed campgrounds? Undeveloped camping areas?

hotels or B&B would be fine

I am interested in knowing also. Any ideas on camping?

"bikeservant" wrote

I am interested in knowing also. Any ideas on camping?

There are actually a number of privately owned campgrounds on the main drag in town. We stayed at one that was ok – Canyonlands RV. It was late summer and we were tent camping but this place is good because they have shaded sites (very rare as you can imagine), a swimming pool (didn’t use it), and showers/restrooms. Rates were reasonable – it is camping after all. The campground itself isn’t very scenic or private and it’s dusty but we didn’t mind – we were riding all day!

Our camping & hiking website lists reviews of several campgrounds in the Moab area so there are plenty to choose from 😀

we’ve stayed in most of the hotels over the years but i think my favorite place to stay is the rad little cabins on the south side of town sorry i can’ remember the names.

as far as camping we always camp at Big Bend. But thats because we’re climbers as well and theres some fun bouldering within fifty yards. its on the highway right before the River. and as far as i know its still free.

If you go with enough people the group camping sites thru the BLM are dirt cheap and really nice. We like the Gold Bar campground. Great thing is that you can reserve them and then not worry about whether or not you’re going to find a place or not. Also, if you have people coming in a different times or places , they all know where you’re going to be – no guesswork.

IF you are going to camp, you can camp up top on the slick rock, which will allow you to play all day.

Last time I was there I camped on the river, right at the bottom (exit) of Porcupine rim. I had a cold beer in my hand within 30 seconds of finishing the trail. It was great to watch 1 in 4 people eat sh*t while they tried to make the sandy left-hand turn to go up to the shuttle lot.

There are definite advantages to staying down on 128 at the river (exit of Porcupine), however, there is very little shade in that area.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.