Best mtn bike destination first week of June?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

What is the best mtn bike destination first week of June? Seems like moab and sedona may be a bit hot but alpine places like crested butte and park city are not dry enough yet.

Here in Missouri we are experiencing some fabulous trail conditions right now. Our usual clay/loam mix has that desired tackiness that gives unparalleled traction. The problem is that the current situation is as unpredictable as the weather on a spring day. The slightest precipitation will push moisture levels over the edge to "unridable." I suspect this is true throughout much of the midwest region. The trails won’t fully dry until the trees leaf out. :?:

Oops! Posted before I was really finished! Anyway, here in the Missouri the conditions should be perfect in early June and a small rain won’t change them much. There are some great trails to pick from in Missouri and surrounding states. Why not try them out with a trip to the Midwest? There are even some IMBA epics available, too. (Berryman, Womble, Syllamo, Big South Fork, Switchgrass)

"btbissell" wrote

What is the best mtn bike destination first week of June? Seems like moab and sedona may be a bit hot but alpine places like crested butte and park city are not dry enough yet.

Downievillewill be open. Conditions should be perfect, considering the dry year we’re having this year. If you decide to try the area, I always go with Yuba Expeditions for shuttle service.

I might add a Copper Harbor to Midwest list. A great place to spend a week.

Downieville, Lake Tahoe, Bend, Southern California, Santa Fe, Flagstaff, Santa Cruz, Black Hills (SD), Wisconsin, Michigan are all good choices for that time of year.

Nice time of year in Durango, CO. Not a great snow year so most trails should be good to go. If it’s not nearby Cortez has great Phils World and Sand Canyon. More if you buy the local ‘mountain bike map’ (43 trails). Plenty of elevation choices from 5000’+.
      Place I’ve always wanted to go is Fish Lake, UT, if you fish. Mytoge Mtn singletrack and much more. Kit Carson said the streams that fed the lake had so many fish you could walk across the stream on their back, in the 1840s.
      Tahoe is sweet then, dry year in the Sierras. Downieville is great!

Perfect time to hit Northern New Mexico. Santa Fe/Taos/Los Alamos is a great area–superb singletrack, cool culture. Everything should be dry but the summer heat will not have set in yet. Also the Gallup area extending into Aztec to the north and the mountains to the Southeast.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.