Best DH rig build ur own

Tagged: ,

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Hello all, I am seeking to build a DH rig bike.

I am planning to buy 2010 Yeti DH 303R frame set to start with.

I am not sure which best DH fork to purchase?

What best DH brake system? I am seeking the most powerful brake system.

What components are very strong and not breakable like handle bar, stem, cranks, wheels, etc.

Any informations would be big helpful.

Does Yeti offer a build kit…If so go with that.

Otherwise its really a preference thing….

Umm brakes I personally like my Stroker Ace, however Avid Code and Formula THEONE’s are also good..IT depends on how you want the brake to work…Some have very little modulation (Avid) or better modulation Stroker.. Then there is over all level of power. Finally how they release when you lay off the chicken switches….

Forks you have in my opinion 3 choices… Fox, Manitou, Marzocchi, there are others however I tend to stick with a fork that I can get fixed fast or get parts fast.

cjm

First of all, it helps a lot to know the trails you will be riding. As an example, downhilling in the mid-Atlantic is brake heavy monster trucking, through epically long rock gardens. Downhilling in Colorado is wide open, high speed riding where you float over rock gardens vs. monster trucking through them. Then, as Element said, "its really a preference thing . . . ." Personally, I love RockShox dual position rebound damping. But, that has a lot to do with Colorado’s trails. I run Formula ORO k24s. They have way more stopping power than I need.

>>I am not sure which best DH fork to purchase?

This depends on a lot. How familiar are you with the difference between High Speed and Low Speed Compression damping? What about the difference between position based and rate based damping? I ask because, if you go out a buy a Manitou El Dorado and goof up the settings, it will perform like crap. If you choose something simple, like a Boxxer Race, it will work OK no matter how much you adjust it.

How much do you want to put into maintenance? High performance parts, tend have a higher volume of maintenance.

>>What best DH brake system? I am seeking the most powerful brake system.

Brake power is no longer a matter of stopping power. It’s matter of energy saving under long heavy braking situations. Remember, brakes don’t stop your car or bike. Tires do. Most brake systems, when coupled with an eight inch rotor have more power than needed. Once your tires start sliding, you have lost both stopping power and control (think anti-lock brakes). So, why exactly are you seeking the most power brake system?

>>What components are very strong and not breakable like handle bar, stem, cranks, wheels, etc.

Nothing is "not breakable." All components can break depending on what you do to them. With cranks, stems and bars, if it’s labeled DH and from a reputable company you are going to have to do something special to break it. Wheelsets have a lot to do with your weight and cost limits.

Any informations would be big helpful.

I dont own or ride full on down hill bike,but I’m a Yeti fan(asr-7 is what I want 😎 ),but I pulled up this review link from the Yeti website and there is a complete R you can buy although it is not the team build,you would have to buy and build if you want the team build.

[url:2xkfv79d]http://www.yeticycles.com/01_Bikes/reviews/303RDH_200904MBA.pdf[/url:2xkfv79d]

and the Yeti 303rdh page as well

[url:2xkfv79d]http://www.yeticycles.com/#/bikes/303RDH/[/url:2xkfv79d]

Yeti’s are sooo coool………..

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.