best bike watches?

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author

I’m looking into getting a good running/cycling watch. What do you guys use for tracking bike rides/workouts?

Great question… I’d love to see what people are using (the latest in watch type gadgets).  Some time ago, I researched and tried a few watch solutions… didn’t really find anything that made me go “WOW, gotta have it!”.  Garmin seemed to have the coolest at tat time.  I’m still using my phone… Runtastic app on an Android.  Has a nice Mountain Bike “version” of it.  Similar to Strava, but like the interface better (personal preference).  Not so big on the soclial aspect of these type of apps (never really use it), but more interested in stats and mapping (real time and reporting).  Works very well with a nice web interface for laptops/PCs.

One (personal) observation has been, watches I’ve worn while riding tend to get damaged during wrecks.  My phone seems to survive being tucked away someplace.  That alone has kinda kept me content with just using my phone.

I’d love to be able to afford a fenix 3 but it just seems like a ton of money, has anyone heard anything about the Garmin Forerunner 230? thats kinda what I’m looking into right now.

I’ve been using a Garmin Vivoactive HR, my first GPS watch. It’s not fancy and it’s not pretty to look at, but it tracks my rides and tells me the time which is all I want. Price was the main factor at just over $160 at Best Buy (after they price-matched Amazon.com).

Ivan

I use the Samsung Gear S3.  It works ok for tracking rides through samsung health, which will upload to Strava.  I got the LTE version so I can use it for a phone in an emergency and having a map in case I get lost is nice too.

I would go with one of these…

Definitely the Petek Phillipe, or a nice Panerai, PAM 201.

In all seriousness the Fenix line is BULLET proof and can double as a GPS.

I’ve been using a Garmin 920XT for the last couple years.  Works great – GPS logs my rides and has a step counter for just walking around.  Battery lasts for about 3 weeks using the GPS 3 – 4 hours per week.

I’ve been using the Garmin Forerunner 35.  It works well for tracking rides and runs, and you can select the activity type from the watch so you’re not having to edit activities after-the-fact.  The Garmin app is very intuitive and will up-load to Strava.  It’s about the size of the Apple watch, which works well for me because I have the wrist size of a 10 year-old.

There are a ton of really good options out there.   It really depends on:

(a) what features are most important to you?
      (b) how much are you prepared to spend?

I track my workouts with a Garmin FR 620.  When I purchased this model a few years ago I chose it for the following reasons:

• It’s a great tracker for running as well as cycling.
      • GPS tracking capability
      • I wanted a device that is compatible with a heart rate monitor chest strap (my experiences with wrist based measurements such as Apple watch and Fitbit show far too much variability especially with high intensity workouts).
      • Ability to capture running cadence as well as a few new features such as ground contact time, vertical oscillation and stride length – at least they were new when I bought it. (yes, I am somewhat of a data geek)
      • Ability to analyze the data post ride/run.  I use Garmin Connect to review the data from my workouts (although I think the new upgrades make the site less useful than it was) and the ability to sync that data with just about any other sports data analytics site such as Strava, Sportstracks, Endomondo, etc.

Since I purchased this device the technology/functionality has continued to improve and the prices have come down.

Just decide what you want and your budget.

Has anyone sampled the various product mentioned here, and can they tell which one is the best?

https://buylatestwatch.com/best-sports-watches-for-women/

I’ve used a Garmin Forerunner 235 for a few years and highly recommend it.  A screen protector is a must though.  Great accuracy, simple, uploads easily, not too expensive.  My only minor gripe is that if the band is loose you can accidentally hit the “lap” button while riding with the back of your hand.

I have the Fenix and it is great. My spouse wanted something similar so I got her the Vivoactive 3. I really like the Fenix but i think the Vivoactive 3 is quite competitive price wise. It does almost everything my fenix does for a fair bit less money. The only differences we have noticed is the number of sports programmed for the Vivoactive and she has to take it off when we go diving. Plus it is not quite as comprehensive as the Fenix info wise but so far i think i would have been fine with the Vivoactive and saved a few hundred. Overall she has zero complaints about the Vivoactive 3.

If you want it for GPS do NOT get a Fitbit Ionic.  Over time it logs less and less of your miles. My maps are comically inaccurate.  It shows me crossing lakes, teleporting and never logging as far as I actually went. I got a warranty replacement, and the new one has developed the same characteristics.  It was a gift, I will continue to wear it because of who gave it to me and why, but if I want accuracy I use my phone.

I really like my Garmin Fenix 5.

Keeps a classic watch look, tough as hell and tracks just about everything.

Current sale prices on the non plus Fenix series makes them an almost no-brainer

I use the Garmin Vivoactive HR.  Couple years old, great battery, so far no issues other than a broken band.  Connects to phone to use Strava, MTB Project, Trail forks and even the GPS in my truck.  Plenty of apps to make it useful and very inexpensive.  Will even find my phone.  When it dies I will definitely purchase another Garmin to replace it.

I am using the Lezyne Micro C watch.  When I’m riding, I have it mounted on the handlebars so I can see it, and use the buttons, easily.  I have found the GPS to be very accurate, and it has never dropped/skipped the signal or given me any funky readings.  I use it with the matching heart rate monitor, which also works very well.

I primarily use it for cycling, as that is what I want to track data for.  I am not a runner, so I cannot speak to that feature.  I have used the hiking feature, and it works just as well as the cycling.  The lifestyle feature is just your basic step/activity counter, without the HR monitor.  I don’t use that much.

For cycling, it is excellent.  And I haven’t even used all the features, like cadence/power/etc.

I have a Fenix 5.

What I like:
      I agree with an earlier comment that the Fenix line is bullet proof. I’ve fallen on it, dropped it, whacked it on stuff in the shop (crankarms and chainrings being the common culprit). It’s a little bulkier than I like in a watch, but again, durability is awesome. Feature-wise, it’s a great stunt double for a smartwatch. Does a decent job tracking heart rate on a bumpy ride, lots of apps/watch faces to choose from, good/great battery life. Pairs with every phone I’ve had in the last couple years, easy to pair with your sensor accessories (you’ll need speed/cadence for better distance tracking).  Very easy to set up and use the few dozen sports widgets that come with, in addition to the tri sprints I’ve used it for DH/XC skiing.

Things I don’t:

Price, even a for a refurb one, is pretty high (I got mine brand new). This isn’t the one that I can load music to, sadly. That was released about six months after I got mine (definitely wasn’t happy).

The bulk is the other thing I don’t like. It’s big (it’s not as big as the 5X, but still) and weighs just enough that it is really hard to get the band tight enough on my wrist so it doesn’t bounce around on the gnarlier trails…and go too tight and it cuts of circulation. I’ve kinda stopped wearing it on my mountain rides and wear it for a gravel one instead.

<p style=”text-align: center;”>I have the Garmin Instinct.</p>
      Best thing about it is that it is simple with buttons instead of a touch screen. It’s battery lasts forever, like a couple weeks without charge. It has every feature the more expensive watches have with a way better battery life. It’s also super rugged, I’ve had multiple spill while wearing it and it doesn’t even get scratched by what would normally destroy a comparable product. I’ve had it for over a year and love it.

Hi everyone. I am new to this forum. I like Garmin and Suunto watches. They are very informative and universal.

Viewing 19 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.