Best bike trails in/near Houston, TX?

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

We’re working on an article about the best bike trails in various US cities, and are coming up a bit short in the Houston area. Anyone have any tips?

Ideally we want to have a list of 4-5 good trails within 25 miles of downtown, plus another 4-5 “weekend rides” that are within 100 miles.

So Houston has some decent trails if you’re into XC. Check out the Greater Houston Off-Road Biking Association’s (GHORBA) Facebook/Website if you want more input.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ghorbahouston/

If I had to rank the in town trails it would look like this:

5. Memorial Park – The oldest and most popular MTB trail in town. The only trail inside Houston’s inner loop. Lots of roots and some decent drops.

4. Terry Hershey Park (The Anthills) – Nice Trail along Buffalo Bayou on the western side of town. Similar to Memorial Park

3. Jack Brooks Park – Down south in the town of Hitchcock. Perhaps the most technical trail in town with lots of good features. I don’t get to ride it much as it’s a little far from me.

2.Cypress Creek Trails – Northwest side of town. A very good mix of all Houston can offer.

1. Brazos River MTB Trails (Sugar Land) – Not a GHORBA trail… yet. Fairly new but rapidly expanding network along the Brazos River with some pretty good Technical Terrain Features (Log Rides, Wood Berms and Jumps). Some steep but short climbs and drops. 20 or so miles, in my opinion it is the best trail in town. Here is the Facebook group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/157990614387212/

For weekend rides, within 100 miles there aren’t a lot of options. There is Huntsville State Park and Double Lake Recreation Area. They are both in the Sam Houston National Forest and are very similar rides. If you’re willing to drive a little bit further west you’ve got Rocky Hill Ranch and Bluff Creek Ranch. Really, your best bet is to just head over to Austin and enjoy the great riding they’ve got.

This is a great list! I’ve also reached out to GHORBA to get input.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.