Best bang for my buck AM bike

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Hey guys so I have been mountain biking seriously for about a year and a half now and I think I have gotten to the point were I have progressed past the capabilities of my current hardtail. I have been getting into more black diamond and DH style riding and most the bikes I see on the trails I ride are FS and I reckon its time to upgrade to a full suspension bike. Most my local trails usually involve a good amount of climbing but also have some steep downhills, rockgardens, 3-5 foot drops (5 at the most) and some small jumps here and there. But I am trying to get into some more Light freeride/DH style and want to be able to make the occasional trip to northstar over the summer. Since I can only afford to get one bike I figure a 6 inch AM bike that still pedals fairly well but will also let me progress into more technical riding would be perfect. I dont really mind granny gearing it up to the top and so figure I am leaning more towards the light freeride then xc. I wanna get a bike that wont need upgrades until something breaks and I’m trying to keep it around $2000 but I guess the suspension design, shock and fork are more important then components. So far I have been looking into the 08 giant reign x1, 08 GT sanction1, and 08 trek remedy 7.
      So im wondering what yall think has the most bang for my buck as far as suspension design, fork, and components?
      Which one would be better for more light DH/FR?
      And any opinions/ suggestions on any of these bikes or other bikes in the catagory I should look into?

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bik … tions_id=3[/url]
      http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/mo … y/remedy7/
      http://www.gtbicycles.com/usa/eng/Produ … ved=t#2584
      any help or suggestions would be appreciated sorry for the long post

First off welcome to singletracks. And hope you enjoy…As far as your choice they are all smoking bikes and To be honest why not give each one a test ride and go with the one that feels the best to you and the shop who you feel is giving you the best service not necessarily the best price…But if I had to choose…..Drum roll please……….It’s a tie between the Giant and the Trek..Both (to me) suite my riding style and body shape…Both handle very well and are reasonable in price and performance.

The Trek has decent frame is decent with the new ABP technology in the rear which aids the rear suspension keeping it live all the time without interference from braking. !50mm rear travel and 160 front. Juicy 5’s and good suspension Fox RP2 and Lyric 2 step…With full SLX and a bonus decent tubeless ready wheel set (Rhythm Comp TLR worth$459.00)…

The Giant shines with more travel in the rear 160mm using a DHX 3 from fox which is a bit better there. and a fox VAN (coil spring) wtih 160mm and rebound only. The frame is very tough and can take a beating.. The components are a mix of Raceface Evolve DH which are tough..Same brakes. But the wheels are a bit lower quality..Due to no tubeless and not a complete wheel from one manufacture its a mix of formula hub for the front which is ok and a so so rear shimano deore rear hub but good solid Sun Ryhno Lite rims…

Hope it helps

Cheers

I would go with the Giant for the fork alone. The Fox 36 fork is friggin sweet. You won’t want anything else once you’ve ridden one…nothing compares. I used to have on and I miss it. Plus I have a 260-270 lb. friend who owned a Reign X and he loved it.

"Mongoose" wrote

[quote="cujo":2oob72bn]I would go with the Giant for the fork alone. The Fox 36 fork is friggin sweet. You won’t want anything else once you’ve ridden one…nothing compares. I used to have on and I miss it. Plus I have a 260-270 lb. friend who owned a Reign X and he loved it.

[/quote:2oob72bn]
      This coming from a die hard Specialized man!! Wow, I am shocked cujo!! 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

————————————————————————————–

There was no Specialized in the mix…Giant is my 2nd favorite bike manufacturer. 😛

I like the Specialized bikes, but I do think they are a little pricey. Specialized has taken good care of me any time I’ve had any issues and that means a lot. Not to mention the lifetime warranties on their frames. I think Giant bikes are a good value and priced reasonable. I’ve owned a couple of Giants as well. My LBS carries Specialized and Giant and they take good care of me so I am loyal to them because of that.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.