Best Android GPS app for mountain biking?

Tagged: 

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good Android GPS app for mountain biking? Ideally I’d like to find one that allows you to load tracks in GPX format to follow and one that maybe even includes basemaps that are available offline (pre-caching).

Watch for a write-up on the site …

I am using Trimble Outdoors. The free version allows loading pre-recorded GPX for use as a ‘guide’ and the paid version ($5.00) allows caching of offline maps for a pre-determined area.

I haven’t looked around in about a year so there may be something better available now, but last year I settled on Orux Maps. The interface is a bit clunky and opaque, the documentation sucks, but it has lots of good map sources (including Google Terrain topo maps!) and does provide an easy way to download offline maps. It is mostly, although not completely reliable, that is, crash free and when you tap something it actually does what it should. It’s free, so nothing lost but your time for trying it.

The main reason I chose it was for the offline topo capability.

"maddslacker" wrote

Watch for a write-up on the site …

I am using Trimble Outdoors. The free version allows loading pre-recorded GPX for use as a ‘guide’ and the paid version ($5.00) allows caching of offline maps for a pre-determined area.

is this the same app that is on backpacker.com?

"bonkedagain" wrote

I haven’t looked around in about a year so there may be something better available now, but last year I settled on Orux Maps. The interface is a bit clunky and opaque, the documentation sucks, but it has lots of good map sources (including Google Terrain topo maps!) and does provide an easy way to download offline maps. It is mostly, although not completely reliable, that is, crash free and when you tap something it actually does what it should. It’s free, so nothing lost but your time for trying it.

The main reason I chose it was for the offline topo capability.

I’m convinced that this is the best Android tracking app out there. The current version (5.+) is very stable, the online selection of maps is huge, off line maps are easily loaded, including Garmin Topo, you are able to upload tracks & photos to services such as EveryTrail, and it has the ability to monitor another riders location through a tracking service. The only down side I can think off, is that since it offers so much custom configurations (you can have profiles for different configs) that there is a definite learning curve required.
      [url:2fiv90ys]https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.orux.oruxmapsDonate&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5vcnV4Lm9ydXhtYXBzRG9uYXRlIl0.[/url:2fiv90ys]

Greg raves about Runtastic’s MTB app and I saw they recently released it for Android. Might be worth checking out…

Orux will also interfaces with a heart rate monitor and cadence sender through bluetooth – Polar and ANT although I haven’t tried this.

I’ve been using MapMyRide for a few years.

It’s integrated with the whole MapMy* system, and integrates with many other forms of exercise. I only use it to keep long term record of my miles/cals.

I was already reviewing Trimble Outdoors, but I recently discovered they have made some changes to their account setup that I’m not sure I like. I have also installed BackCountry Navigator ($9.99, offers a free trial) and I am running them alternately so I can do a head to head comparison.

I will write up a full review of both .. hopefully sooner rather than later

"jeff" wrote

Greg raves about Runtastic’s MTB app and I saw they recently released it for Android. Might be worth checking out…

😀 it’s pretty sweet! They recently released a new version for iPhone (I’m assuming they released the latest build for Android as well) with some new features and upgrades. I haven’t actually checked out the newest features yet, but I plan on it soon!

Strava!!!!!!!!

I’ve used Strava, Runtastic, map my ride, My tracks and google maps.. Sometimes 3 or 4 at once depending on how accurate I want it to be.. I can then delete the others and import the most accurate track.

I have found on my Samsung Galaxy note Strava and Mytracks is very accurate vs Runtastic. But they are all free and depending what you want to do with the information it’s a toss up.. Mytracks uses a KMZ/kml? file format vs GPX which is what Strava and Runtastic use..

sorry I couldn’t offer more info..

Viewing 11 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.