Bees on the bike trail

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Was riding last night with a group of 9 and we ran into some angry bees on the trail! On the third time through a stretch of singletrack five of us got stung, one right after another. Someone said the bees were ground wasps but it was dark so I have no idea. It sucks running into bees at night because you can’t see where they’re coming from – two of us got stung minutes later riding down the road because the bees were still on us!

Anyone else run into bees on the trail this time of year? Is it bee season or something?

A couple of years ago, I got stung above the right eye after climbing over a monstrous downed tree. While I was waiting on the other guy to make his way over, POW! He got me good. It was interesting as I continued to ride and my eyebrow/lid swelled up. No incidents lately though.

"trek7k" wrote

Was riding last night with a group of 9 and we ran into some angry bees on the trail! On the third time through a stretch of singletrack five of us got stung, one right after another. Someone said the bees were ground wasps but it was dark so I have no idea. It sucks running into bees at night because you can’t see where they’re coming from – two of us got stung minutes later riding down the road because the bees were still on us!

Anyone else run into bees on the trail this time of year? Is it bee season or something?

I didn’t think bees could see good enough at night to chase you like that. Someone must have run right over the nest. Yellowjackets are the meanest bees in my area and they are particularly mean in September and October.

This time of year yellow jackets tend to be aggressive. true bees are very timid.

I would also imagine that it was a ground nest of yellow jackets, but I thought that they usually get more lethargic as the weather gets colder?

I hate yellow jackets, which I have also heard called ground wasps, since they are in the wasp family. I got stung by one last time I was out riding. I was moving down hill too, I dunno how it got me. I see them everywhere though, especially this time of the year.

I’ve caught a yellow jacket in my shorts one time 😮

I was riding along and apparently our paths crossed, and it went in the leg opening of my baggy shorts, hit the liner inside and stopped, and stung me. Talk about instant OUCH!

I remember this last Spring, riding with my neighbor, his girlgriend, and my daughter. We were riding near trail 100 in Phoenix’s North Mtn. Preserve. While my daughter (13) is pretty aggressive on her bike, she is a girly girl at heart. One of the things that makes her freak the most is bees. I had to leave her on the trail and backtrack, to help my neighbor’s girlfriend with a bike problem. The repair took about 10 minutes, and as we were heading towards my daughter, who was out of site at the time due to terrain, we heard this low humming sound. It reminded me of the sound B52’s make in war movies that I’ve seen. As we make our way over this small crest we see this cloud of bees (at least 40 to 50 thousand by my estimate) flying over where my daughter was. We rushed over to find her lying face down under her bike. She did great I thought. Usually she freaks out, runs around, and screams at the top of her lungs at the sight of just one bee. It was cool to see her instincts kick in and see her stay calm through it all. I’ve never seen such a huge swarm before. These were Africanized bees looking for a new nest. They were hovering probably 15 to 20 feet above the ground, so no one was stung. Pretty amazing sight though.

Good times on the trail, always!

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.