Beating North Creek into submission

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Hello all,

Sorry but I posted this in the wrong place so I am reposting it here to introduce myself, I’m new here.

I thought this might be a good place to start. Dad said I could have a two wheeler when I weighed 85 pounds. I ate like hell, put rocks in my pockets and held him to the deal. You should have seen her, peach with white trim, wide white walls, headlight built into the front fender and a chrome springer front suspension. I’ve been a two wheel junkie ever since. For most of the following 56 years two wheels provided safe and cheap transportation with an added health benefit. This Year I discovered mountain biking… and the rules have changed. Cheap, i think not. My choice of two wheels this time cost $1500, not to mention $85 for a bike shirt that is supposed to breath, shorts with butt pads built in (who woulda thought) gel padded gloves and to top it off a pair of $9 socks with flames (I had to have those). Now the price of things never goes down, I respect that, but the biggest rule change was the "safe" part. Six months ago I took my brand new mountain bike to Alafia, dressed to the 9’s, I thumbed my nose to the beginner trails and headed, with confidence out on the nearest trailhead marked with blue. How difficult could a ride through the forest be, right? If you had been standing at the trail head, you heard my cuss at the first root, you heard me puff up the first incline, and you heard me yelping most of the way down the first drop and you heard the "thump" as my body hit the ground somewhere near the bottom. I learned a new word… endover. North Creek took first blood and though I spent every week end for the next three or four mostly on the green trails, I went back to North Creek at least once each visit and it continued to draw blood till finally the green trails became my warm up and I beat North Creek into submission. She is my bitch. (can I say that?)

This past Father’s Day I spent on the trails with my oldest son 38, and my youngest son 27, and since it was Father’s Day, every once in a while I’d let them catch up. 😉

Welcome. Wow 85 pounds. I was not that weight until I was 13 or 14. My son is 13 and he only weighs 65 pounds. He looks like a stick. He has been riding bikes and dirt bikes since he was 4. Kids get so nuch more these days. I get my son out from time to time on the trails and he loves the downhills but the climbs kill him. He is getting better and I am waiting for the day that I will be eating his dust. If he doesnt get out there more I may be about 80 before he does that.

This past Father’s Day I spent on the trails with my oldest son 38, and my youngest son 27, and since it was Father’s Day, every once in a while I’d let them catch up. 😉

Great post! I enjoyed reading that. Thanks

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.