Bearing Question.

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

I was doing an overhaul on my wheel bearings, and when I went to put them back in the hubs I counted 10 in the front, but only 9 in the rear, I swear I didn’t lose any, so unless my cat ate one, I really feel unsure about smacking this back together. Although it seems like it couldn’t fit another?

Oh yeah, they are Shimano Deore, HB-M525.

hi, this is my first post here and i hope this helps. well from my little bit of experience the front hub should have a total of 20 3/16" ball bearings so there should be 10 on each side, and the rear hub should have a total of 18 1/4" ball bearings so there should be 9 on each side. so what u have sounds right, just make sure the bearings are the right size for the front and rear hub and u should be good to go.

Trailrider’s right, 10 up front and 9 in the rear. Did you check them for wear? Replace them if there is any. They are pretty cheap. Sometimes you can get away with simply rubbing them down with Gojo or any other cleaning agent with a fine grit in it but if you see any dimpling you should spring for new ones.

Well first off, welcome to singletracks Trailerider.

So they make them a different size? Where’s the logic/sense to that?

Thanks for the info Trailrider and GG, that relieves me quite a bit, and I didn’t actually replace them, as they looked pretty "shiney" and no dents or anything. This is on a bike that I don’t actually ride often enough, but I will definitely pick up a container of them and do it next time around.

It has to do with transfering weight and loads. Personally I prefer bearings that are sealed. While Shimano insist that loose bearings such as the ones they use are superior..Either way works. Just make sure you keep up the service. Now when you put it back together use a good quality ceramic grease. That will really improve what you have.. Also when all is clean, just like GG mentioned make sure there are no pits on the bearings otherwise its time to replace all of them.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.